NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 NB vert. Was out driving in the rain tonight for the first time with this car and the low beams are terrible. Hi beams are fine. Even on nights it's not raining I feel the low beams could be greatly improved upon. Did a little research on here and didn't really come up with a solid answer. Should the low beams be on all the time as soon as I turn the key on? Also, what's the purpose of that 3rd little bulb in there? What's that needed for if the low beams are on all the time? I read that thin wiring is an issue so wouldn't LED's help with that? Gotta get this fixed. Driving at night is scary!:mad: It's only slightly better then if I would be driving with the parking lights on. The lenses are clear so that is not the problem.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Do you have the standard Halogen low beams? If so, I would start by replacing the bulbs. Expensive bulbs are brighter but burn out in 6-12 months. Inexpensive bulbs are not as bright and gradually fade away rather than burn out. Either way you'll be replacing them about once a year. So the first step is to replace the bulbs and make sure they are properly installed. After that the headlight aiming can be checked.

In earlier years at least, the headlights are on whenever the parking brake is released so these cars go through bulbs quickly.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
headlights

There is a thread around here on how to disable the daytime running lights I just don't remember the name you might want to do a search on that. I remember reading about removing the light switch knob and bending/cutting one pin behind the light knob. like red99 said start by replacing the bulbs.

·
Aircommuter
6 Posts
Head lights

I recently posted a new bit of info on disabling the DRL . I think that would be the search to try. My post is based on a 2006.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I find the majority of complaints with the headlights on these cars is one of the Low Beam bulbs is burned out.

In your case, you may have both Low Beam bulbs burned out. The NB DRL percentage is very high which causes the Low Beam bulbs to burn out frequently.

Also make sure the DRL brighten up slightly when the headlights are actually turned on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are not burned out. I want to do the thing where they don't come on as soon as the car is started. I'll pull the light switch and put tape over the one connection. I also bought some bright bulbs to install and maybe I'll tweak the adjustment a bit to while I have the bulb housing out. As for getting brighter once the light switch is turned on, I didn't notice a change when doing that.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I wouldn't use higher wattage bulbs, myself. The headlight and ignition switches aren't really robust enough to handle the extra current. There is no headlight relay so all the current for the bulbs goes through those switches. Others have had problems with the wiring at the ignition switch in particular overheating.

·
Registered
18 Posts
dwayne- well they don't come on as soon as you start it up, they come on as soon as the parking brake is released. At least thats how mine are.

Yeah, my low beams suck too. My headlights are a little bit cloudy, was thinking about replacing both whole headlights as I'll be replacing my radiator as soon as the weather gets warmer and both headlights have to come out for that job.

At night I just drive with the high beams on all the time (except in the snow). I figure with the high beams on, it probably looks like everyone else's low beams! I never get flashed by oncoming cars. Dave

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
exactly

I wouldn't use higher wattage bulbs, myself. The headlight and ignition switches aren't really robust enough to handle the extra current. There is no headlight relay so all the current for the bulbs goes through those switches. Others have had problems with the wiring at the ignition switch in particular overheating.
Correctly spoken, this man know's his electronics. The higher the wattage and the wires & connections get hot and develop a resistance. then wires melt and short out or ....fire :D not good, not good.

·
Paul
1 Posts
Mine are the same. I want to get a set of the L.E.D. ones with the ring of mini led's around the circumference of the lamp. They look wicked cool!! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
We just purchased a 2009 NB and I drove it home, 5 hour drive, at night. As a first time VW NB owner I was shocked how dim the low beams were and drove most of the way with high beams on.

The next day I used two "TurtleWax Headlight Lens Restorer" kits to polish and seal the lenses. These worked great. Then I replaced the projector bulbs, H7 bulbs, with Sylvania Silverstar Ultra H7 55W bulbs.

This was a 100%+ improvement in light output for low beam. I left the high beam bulbs alone as they seemed to be bright enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts