NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
New to New Beetle
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a muffled popping sound from the exhaust area when I'm accelerating really hard the beetle is apr'd just wondering if anyone has any idea what this is if it's something I need to worry about I think it may be fuel combusting in the tailpipe, but I don't know for sure I only say this because it only happens under hard acceleration it isn't extremely loud or anything and there isn't any smoke or anything like that, but I'd be willing to bet it would be alot louder with a full exhaust. Also it only pops when I let off the gas quickly while shifting or something and it's just 1 pop.

·
New to New Beetle
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I suspected, would this typically be a problem for bugs that are chipped? I'm not really concerned with the cat since there aren't really any emissions laws here, do you think maybe I'm leaking boost somewhere which is causing me to run rich? I plan on replacing the DV and that n75j valve or whatever it is maybe that will fix my problem.

·
20V GTRS
1,120 Posts
I have a popping on mine but it is noticable on almost every shift as I am running without a muffler. Are you running an aftermarket DP and or CAT ?

·
Eine Kleine Panzer
210 Posts
As a rule, a good mod to go along with your chip is to replace the DV since the OEM one can't handle the new increased boost that well. Your n75 is OK, a race valve does nothing but delay the wastegate opening (increases boost and hp), but your chip is already giving you additional boost and hp.

You may have a MAF that is going bad but has not thrown a light and that may be causing too rich.

If you have just been chipped, I would contact the manufacturer and see what they say...perhaps something with the remapping is causing a too rich scenario. You may also want to wait and see if your car adapts to the new settings.

·
New to New Beetle
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm running both an ARP DP and a High Flow Cat think it's arp as well, not really sure though, and just a rear bolt of muffler from VW, will get the full catback, I will try replacing the MAF because I know that they are prone to go bad, might as well just replace it to be safe. But yes I have a pop that happens every shift, I just don't want to have to worry about it I'm glad it's happening to other people as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts