Should I port out the intake/Throtle body

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.. im thinking about porting out the intake/cleaning throtle body. My dad just did his on the commaro $250. Machine shop. What do you guys think about this idea?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Sure. It'll do some stuff. Not nearly what it did for his Camero. But it'll still improve. Anything you can do to make inhaling easier for your NA 2.0.

Fatter, shorter tubes, smoother bends, whatever you can do to smooth out the ride.

·
Registered
111 Posts
well i don't know about the 2.0, but the tb-manifold is alreadyperfectly port matched straight from the factory on the 1.8t. The only thing worth porting out is the runners and smoothing the injector bosses.

The 2.0 has an exceptionally long-runner design whichis supposed to promote high-velocity airflow at low rpms, meaning increased torque. I'm not sure what restrictions are present but a good port match between the tb and manifold, and the two halves of the manifold would be a good start. Personally, I'd have the insides of both halves sandblasted with about an 80 grit finish. You want some amount of roughness to promote fuel atomization. Heck if you've got a good deal, go for it. But it would be really nice to see a before and after dyno to know how much it was really worth.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does any one know about how much i should take off, i was thinking 1/16 all the way around

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just lie the gasket over it, and use a marker to mark the metal that you can still see. Just take off the gasket and start going to work. I wouldn't go much farther than gasketmatching and smoothing out the runners.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Make it match the manifold. That's how big. If you get the manifold intake ported too you could go a little larger, but I wouldn't resize the area around the butterfly. Smooth that out, and move on. You don't want more air going around it than you have now, you just want air flowing through it better when it's open.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HAHAHAHAH nice... oh yea well my vr6 has a tracter pulling turbo on it NAAA. hehehe just playing around lol. ;}

·
I love my family!
2,887 Posts
beetlejuice said:
Send the intake runners and the heads to Extrude Hone if you have the time and money.
juice
Absolutely! Extrude hone will get rid of all those nasty power robbing rough castings. Keep in mind, you may not feel much of a "seat of the pants" gain, but it will probably run quite a bit more smoothly...

·
OG Stalker
1,332 Posts
port match the runners, both upper and lower and smooth the injector bosses. If you get head work I would gasket match the head to the lower runner. The mk4 (new beetle) already has larger ports in the intake manifold then the older 2.0 motor so porting is not as much of a necessity.

if you do decide to work on the throttle body, you can deramp it by smoothing the front edges and removing the small hump if front of the butterfly, but do not... and I mean DO NOT ... remove any material from around the butterfly. If you do this your car will have a hard time idling and run terribly.

Also, you will not notice huge gains without the help of a cam or head work. Getting more air into the throttle body and manifold doesn't necessarily mean it will get through the head any faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts