NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about 10 minutes, I noticed this leak spots from underneath the front of my car on the passenger's side. I tried to touch it to see if it was still wet but I didn't get anything but dirt on my hand.

My dad's friend was parked in this spot today for a little while.

I didn't notice whether the leak spot was there until after my car was parked.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Did you try to smell it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you try to smell it?
I didn't. I can't really identify smells. Unless it was super strong.

I wasn't driving it for long. I only drove the car for about 5 or 7 minutes. So it wasn't running for too long.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Were you running the AC?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My money is it is windshield washer fluid.

The reservoir is located behind and below the right headlight and it is likely the washer pump is leaking, they are CLASSIC leakers. If you determine it is washer fluid, buy a pump and rubber grommet and replace it, do not mess around as this thing is a PITA to get at.

Ask me how I know.

Be careful as some of the dealer pumps can be EXPENSIVE.

I am not a big fan or URO parts, however I have used quit a few URO pumps and have yet to have problems.

Amazon.com: URO Parts 1J5 955 651 Washer Pump: Automotive

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not really good at do it yourself car repairs. I'm no mechanic. I know absolutely nothing about it. I bet this will be an expensive repair...

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Find a good Indy shop. It`s not a hard repair, just a PITA.

I recall I pulled the headlight and the retaining cup and had to pull the inner fender well loose, can't recall if I took the wheel off or just turned the wheel hard to the left.

Should not be more than 1 hour of labor, but you never know about book time??

I could not take it to the dealer unless they can quote you a price you are happy with.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Find a good Indy shop. It`s not a hard repair, just a PITA.

I recall I pulled the headlight and the retaining cup and had to pull the inner fender well loose, can't recall if I took the wheel off or just turned the wheel hard to the left.

Should not be more than 1 hour of labor, but you never know about book time??

I could not take it to the dealer unless they can quote you a price you are happy with.
That sounds good ( not a hard repair.) The place I normally take it to, are usually pretty good at not get my money and etc. They're not expensive or trying rip me off. Hopefully, they'll have the parts and stuff to fix it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Suggest you get the pump and pump grommet as this way they do not have to wait for parts.

Given your car is a 2002 it is just on time for this failure.

I replaced mine in my 2003 about 6 months ago.
Lovely. Everything starts to fall apart and needs replacing. I can't escape getting something fixed every summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts