NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a weird thing happen to our vert this evening. The lights on the passenger lock/unlock switch the lights were flickering. It also had the red lock lights on the doors flicker with it. The passenger window wouldn't work either while this was going on. I am going to check it in the am with vagcom but was wondering what is going on. Could this be a short in the door wiring, window switch or door lock? Any ideas?

:confused:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I see you have a 2003 Vert. I have one, purchased new, both doors are on the 2nd replacement door latch! Meaning my car has door latch number 5 and 6 currently installed, 2 originals and 4 replacements.

Verts HAMMER door latches to death as people SLAM the doors all the time. The Vert doors can be closed with your pinky.

Simple way to verify a door latch is the red/white puddle light does not come on or is intermittent. Also the window may drop when the door handle is pulled, but when the door is opened the window pops right back up.

If you have original door latches, you are lucky and likely need replacements!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it Dec 12 for my wife for Christmas. Did the TB and complete tune up. I have had several VWs and know they have electrical demons. It's not a problem because we have fell in love with this car. Is the problem in the passenger door switch and is that the one that has broken solder connections? Is that something that I could and how much should the part cost? I went to school to be a mechanic 25 years ago but my family obligations prevented me from getting into the automotive field.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts