NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the title sounds weird :)

I was replacing my cracked (with a big hole) rain tray MKIV rain tray removal . I removed it easily without any problems at all. However, there was a lot of dirt beneath it, so I decided to clean it up next morning. I cleaned the area, windshield, drain holes. Then I changed water with cold tap one to rinse stuff. When I returned back with my new rain tray I found a long "nice" crack about 4-5" long :(

Is it possible that I could somehow damaged windshield or was there probably some predisposition before? I thought windshield was pretty sturdy thing and should tolerate some temperature changes especially for water.

Are 4-5" cracks from the very bottom repairable or should I replace entire windshield? I feel so bad... tried to save some many by replacing rain tray on my own, and now I have to fix the windshield:(

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
If the windshield already had a crack or chip, yes it would be possible. I generally don't recommend putting cold water on the windshield on a hot day, especially if the glass is already heated up from the sun. Its best to use Sprayway glass cleaner or windex for the job unless you are cleaning the whole car and its early in the morning.

As for stopping the crack, take it to a repair place that uses the filler stuff and just see if they can stop it. It may be possible.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I tend to think of that it perhaps had small crack before. Otherwise what windshield is it if it cracks from cleaning. I hope that rain tray doesn't add extra strength to it.

I was cleaning just the lower part of the windshield at the place of contact with the rain tray since it was extremely dirty. I didn't pour from the tap. Perhaps I just squeezed terry towel. And it was in the morning though under hot sun with partly overcast :)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Usually a windshield will not break just from the cold water. It's possible that an extreme temperature change could do it. Usually what happens, is the windshield will have a tiny crack or chip or hole and then something, going over a bump, the cold water, etc. will cause the crack and then it gets bigger. That's what happened to mine. i just replaced the whole windshield cuz it was time anyway. I do believe that the crack can be stopped from getting larger. You probably have to go to an auto glass shop though. Unless you are real handy. It involves drilling a hole at both ends and then filling those two holes with silicone. I bit of a job.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
... It involves drilling a hole at both ends...
That is the problem that it goes from the very bottom :( I just feel so bad. Perhaps it can be repaired, but if it starts growing again later, I'd better replace entire windshield...

What do you mean saying that it was time to replace yours?

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,404 Posts
oh yes, particularly if there was a star crack you hadn't noticed before...happened to me a couple of years ago when washing my car...was rinsing off the car while talking to my neighbor, and i heard a little "pop" in the background...when i got around the front of the car to wash the windshield, it had cracked and run most of the width of the windshield...ah well. new windshield time. :mad::mad::(:(

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got new aftermarket one (I didn't know they exist) for $265 after taxes in total. I hope it will last for few years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are still at it, would you try to really have some good parts from some auto shops around your area or in the net. In this way, you are keeping your options open in order to make things right. Hope all is well by now.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Not the cold water question... (lol)!

Is it possible that I could somehow damaged windshield NO, not with the cold water! or was there probably some predisposition before? Quite possibly, but more likely damage occured removing or replacing the tray. I thought windshield was pretty sturdy thing and should tolerate some temperature changes especially for water. They are, and they do. That said, don't dump hot water on a cold windshield or use a hair dryer or heat gun to remove frost or ice. The windshield WILL crack.

Are 4-5" cracks from the very bottom repairable So the claims go, typically to 24", but... or should I replace entire windshield? My recommendation, but you will probably have to replace the entire windshield as I don't know of anyone who can replace part of one! (lol) I feel so bad... tried to save some many by replacing rain tray on my own, and now I have to fix the windshield:(
The commercial glass business has been one source of my livelyhood, nearly my entire adult life, what I've stated above is gospel! It was not the cold water, promise!

MORAV

1 - 9 of 9 Posts