VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I might be driving 5 hours this weekend to buy an 03 Turbo S. Been looking for one of these for awhile but haven’t found any near me. It will be my first Volkswagen. The owner “who seems completely clueless about the car” says it’s showing a code for an O2 sensor and runs rough. She even bought the new sensor for it. Any insight on things I should look for once I see it? I can tell it has an aftermarket intake, but the overall look of the engine is a little concerning. Thanks everyone
Hood Grille Automotive lighting Trunk Car

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The engine bays tend to look like that if you never lift the hood. As in doing an oil change or some other maintenance. I wipe my engine bays off when I do the oil I would imagine the local Quick/Jiffy lube is not going to do that. Most people just drive their cars many never even look under the hood. Some don’t even know that you should check the oil once in a while or rotate the tires, add washer fluid , change the wipers etc and when those things need doing many drive to a local garage, dealer or car parts place.

How many times have you driven past Napa, Autozone or somewhere else and an employee is changing wiper blades or adding wiper fluid or changing a battery for someone who didn’t even know where the hood release handle was when asked to pop the hood.

I’m guessing the current owner did not install the aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good points. Since this is your first VW... Some may disagree with me but I think VW and other euro cars are higher maintenance cars. You must be committed. These cars can be downright frustrating at times. That said, they are really a different experience from other cars. I view this as high risk high reward. I have owned VWs a long time and when daughter got her bug I basically knew this going in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts