NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking around for new beetles everywhere to get the best price. I decided to get a white new beetle and it should be waiting for me on Monday. I have some general questions...

I don't know about engines so is 2.5 engine a good one?
I
live in MN so I will have a lot of snow in the winter does someone here have experience with new beetles in the snow and are they pretty reliable in the winter months?

Also I'm getting an automatic transmission since I don't know how to drive manual. What are the pros and cons between these 2?
I read some stuff on here and it seems like manuals are more reliable than automatic?

Another thing, I heard that repair for new beetles is VERY expensive since you have to take the motor out to be able to work on minor things? Is this true? Are repairs for these cars generally more expensive?

I'm getting a new new beetle :p so how many miles do you think I will go before I need any (major)repairs?

Any other tips/ideas info will be helpful!
Thank you!!!! And this site seems great! I'm glad I came across it, nice to meet everyone :cool:

·
Pisant
234 Posts
I have been looking around for new beetles everywhere to get the best price. I decided to get a white new beetle and it should be waiting for me on Monday. I have some general questions...

I don't know about engines so is 2.5 engine a good one?
I
live in MN so I will have a lot of snow in the winter does someone here have experience with new beetles in the snow and are they pretty reliable in the winter months?

Also I'm getting an automatic transmission since I don't know how to drive manual. What are the pros and cons between these 2?
I read some stuff on here and it seems like manuals are more reliable than automatic?

Another thing, I heard that repair for new beetles is VERY expensive since you have to take the motor out to be able to work on minor things? Is this true? Are repairs for these cars generally more expensive?

I'm getting a new new beetle :p so how many miles do you think I will go before I need any (major)repairs?

Any other tips/ideas info will be helpful!
Thank you!!!! And this site seems great! I'm glad I came across it, nice to meet everyone :cool:
Welcome. I have 3 New Beetles but none have the 2.5, that is in the later models. I do know quite a few people with the 2.5 and they like the power and I have heard no complaints about that engine.

I do all of my repairs and maintenance, and they are not any harder to repair than other cars. Some parts seem like they are expensive, but not out of line with most other cars. I do not know of anything that would require pulling the engine, other than engine failure. Repairs at the dealer, as with any brand car dealers are more expensive than smaller shops. But there are a lot of repair shops that work on VW's.

I have one with a 5 speed manual, and the other two are automatics. I personally like the manual, but the automatics are easier to drive in heavy traffic, and I have never had trouble with either. Knock on wood. The one in my 2004 NBC is a 6 speed Tiptronic automatic, and that is a sweet shifting tranny. 90,000 miles on it, no problems.

I live in Texas, so we don't see a lot of snow, but since these are FWD, they should do fine in snow.

I am sure you will like one, they are fun to drive, get good fuel economy, and in my opinion are great looking cars.

If you look on this boards at events, you will see that we have many people that are crazy about their NB's, and we do have events every year where we do get together and have a great time.

Good luck, and I hope you do buy it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts