NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing as how I havent been as post whorish as everyone else out there, are we going to remove these from the templates and only show reputation?

I think it was discussed elsewhere but I dont remember.

I've allways hated post counts and think they should be done away with (Visibly) still track them in the db..
 

·
DIESL PWR
Joined
·
354 Posts
Jeff said he wants to keep keeping track of post counts, which I agree with. I think this is an issue to be put to vote, because there are valid reasons for either course of action.

While everyone is used to post-counts, maybe since we're building this from the ground up, we should hide them by default, and then in the user control panel, have the option of showing posts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ASurroca said:
Jeff said he wants to keep keeping track of post counts, which I agree with. I think this is an issue to be put to vote, because there are valid reasons for either course of action.

While everyone is used to post-counts, maybe since we're building this from the ground up, we should hide them by default, and then in the user control panel, have the option of showing posts.
That would require a hack in the UserCP which we are trying to avoid, easiest way to hide them and keep track of them is to edit the templates for showing a thread..

Which I think is what we were going to do..
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
It would be very easy to remove the DISPLAY of post counts...that's a template modification, but that doesn't really constitute a "hack" -- it's easily revert-able and VB stores a history of template mods, so you can always keep track of what you've done. It's no big deal to hide post counts.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, though. I'm on the fence, I guess. Discuss.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jcroft said:
It would be very easy to remove the DISPLAY of post counts...that's a template modification, but that doesn't really constitute a "hack" -- it's easily revert-able and VB stores a history of template mods, so you can always keep track of what you've done. It's no big deal to hide post counts.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, though. I'm on the fence, I guess. Discuss.
What I referred to as a hack would be giving a user the option of displaying post counts or not via the UserCP

My biggest problem with them is the number of people who seem driven to post just on the basis of upping their post count...
 

·
DIESL PWR
Joined
·
354 Posts
You make a good point antoine...

The "popularity contest" aspect seems to be a part of human nature, and you might as well accept it.

Take Flickr, for example, probably one of the best social networking and/or photo sites around, period. People keep track of how many views they get, there are even forums devoted to this stuff. And the Flickr community is vibrant.

Maybe we should just keep them. After all, postwhores will always be postwhores, regardless, and the people who don't care about post counts just won't notice them.
 

·
Grandma LOVES bubbles!!
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
I am on the fence with this one. I like seeing the counts, but we do get post ho's a lot. I wonder if they would still ho if the counts were gone, or if they just like to see their posts.

Antoine, you just want us to keep our counts because yours is the highest!!!:marvin: Can anyone use the Marvin icon, or is that your's alone???:stickpok:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,917 Posts
BUGNME said:
I am on the fence with this one. I like seeing the counts, but we do get post ho's a lot. I wonder if they would still ho if the counts were gone, or if they just like to see their posts.

Antoine, you just want us to keep our counts because yours is the highest!!!:marvin: Can anyone use the Marvin icon, or is that your's alone???:stickpok:

I've actually seen a few people use it on the old org...it's kind of fun to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
I say we hide post counts, and if we really want to keep workin' that popularity contest aspect; then we point everyone to the reputation stuff.

THAT one is more of a test of popularity anyway, right? Someone ELSE has to give you rep points, and hopefully they'll only do that for GOOD posts. That's deffinately what I'd hope anyway.

I think hiding the # count and directing people to the new & improved reputation would be the way to go. You'll still get alot of people handing out reputation for normal posts, but it'll give everyone something to work for as well....
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
I have hidden post counts on the "postbit" (the little panel above your posts). I hadn't hid them on the user's profile page -- do you think we need to hide them there, too?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
BUGNME said:
You know, there is so much other stuff to get used to, I wonder if people will even notice they're gone??
I'm sure some of the post whores will notice. But you're right -- I don't think most people will mind much.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
14,774 Posts
I wouldn't cry if post counts disappeared. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
BTW, is reputation viewable? or am I blind?

Since I see it as the replacement.... well. Just wondering why I don't see any info about the current reputation status.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
noR said:
BTW, is reputation viewable? or am I blind?

Since I see it as the replacement.... well. Just wondering why I don't see any info about the current reputation status.
You're blind.

It's under your username and title information on each post. It shows up as green or red "dots" based on positive or negative rep.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jcroft said:
You're blind.

It's under your username and title information on each post. It shows up as green or red "dots" based on positive or negative rep.
Yes, you used to be able to see a line of long red dots under my name... apparently I got 'fixed' ;)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top