NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from PA, fellow New Beetle owners. I'm a new New Beetle owner and new to this forum. I've been a VW (both air cooled and H2O cooled) enthusiast for maaaaaaaaaaaaaany years. Currently I have 2 of each variety. As for the water cooled, I have a '98 Jetta and a '99 Beetle.
I bought the Beetle mostly out of pity for its condition. This poor thing was in a sorry state. Still is, really, but it's on its way to becoming healthy again. It looks abysmal, but runs great after a lot of work. The poor thing suffered under the hands of someone who clearly liked to run into things and may have had some foes- lots of dents and scratches on the poor car. Also, they apparently liked to take shortcuts with their repairs.
The first obstacle with this bugger was coolant issues- lights flashing, horns sounding- frequent addition of coolant. Finally it became clear the head gasket was blown. Why did the headgasket blow, you might be wondering... Well, someone somewhere along the way decided it was a good idea to use gunk to block up whatever had been leaking. Oh, it blocked things up, but not in a good way. Several hoses, a head gasket and a good flushing later and things are up to snuff.
The second issues was odd tire wear on the LR wheel and a bizarre clunking noise emanating from the RR on occasion, even after replacing the springs and rubbers. A good used rear axle later and it rides like a dream.
Those are just a few of the mechanical issues I encountered. There are more issues to contend with and hopefully I can seek counsel on here. I still have a lot of body work ahead of me as well.
Now it's time for you to view the beast:

Cheers!
Lisa

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
Thank you for taking in this poor New Beetle, and fixing it up. Once it's all done, you will be rewarded with a fun, fun car. Thank you! :)

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Wonderful story and a great rescue! Welcome to the ORG! We all love photos and hope you'll share some with us soon!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Adoption IS a BEAUTIFUL thing!!
Looks like it has a GREAT owner NOW.:D

WELCOME TO THE 'ORG'---Glad to have you!
:flipper:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts