NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am new to the site and am looking to purchase my first beetle soon. I have ALWAYS loved the Beetle and have vowed to own at least one Beetle and one Mustang before I die. And it looks like my Beetle dream is going to be fulfilled first. After searching online for a bit, I believe I have found the NB that I may purchase. I have just a few questions for you "experts" before I do, though.

First of all, the transmission issue. This seems to be the major issue I have read about online. But, from what I have read, this only seems to apply to the Automatic with Tiptronic transmission. What year models have the transmission issue? And also, have there been any known issues with the manual transmission? I love driving a stickshift, and if the manuals in the beetles seem to be better than the automatics, then that will make my decision easier.

Second...Several co-workers and friends overheard me talking about getting a beetle and have told me to stay away from them and they are nothing but trouble. I have read about some minor issues (windows, headlights, etc.). But if I have a dream to own a beetle, then are there any issues other than the transmission that I should be aware of?

The care I am looking at is a 2008 NB Convertible S. The description on the dealer site says that it is an automatic, but unless I've lost my mind, the stick on the floor is NOT an automatic in the picture. It is red with cream interior and a ?tan? top. Any input? Or anyone have questions about it that would help you tell me if this car is ok?

Thanks in advance for your help!:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
It is the early automatics that are trouble. So, don't listen to your coworkers... :D

Maybe our New Beetles are finicky, but they are so much fun, it kinda cancels out most issues. The vital word is maintainence. Regular oil changes, timing belts *before* they break, correct octane fuel, that kind of stuff. Oh, and they like to be clean, and not full of car trash. :lol:

Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Follow that dream! :party:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Happy searching first of all!!! :D

I probably couldn't be completely sure about this, but from what I've gathered, Volkswagen hasn't ever really mastered the art of making a reliable automatic transmission. I've never heard any bad things about the manuals (I love mine too :)), but loads of bads about the autos. That's the first thing that caught my eye.

But don't listen to your coworkers! A lot of people have told me the same about my V-dub, but here I am, a year after owning and I've not had a single tiny issue with it whatsoever. ;) what engine does it have? The 1.8 Turbos had bad problems with sludging, but that's probably only if they've been maintained improperly. Can someone vouch for my info? ;)

Anyway, welcome to the beautiful world of Volkswagen!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine is they 2.5 5 cyl. And the car appears to be well maintained. Very clean, no scratches, dents, stains, tears, etc.

We are going to look in the morning unless someone else gets there today. But the car has been at the dealer for over a month, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll stay one more day!

I guess all of my co-workers just don't understand that when I have my mind set on something, that's what I want. And my mind is set on a Beetle! :D

Thank y'all for the input. Oh, and what octane fuel is best for that engine?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
Luckily, the 2.5 is chain driven, not belt driven, so you don't have the timing belt service to worry so much about.

Do you have a link to the car or pics?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The engine is they 2.5 5 cyl. And the car appears to be well maintained. Very clean, no scratches, dents, stains, tears, etc.

We are going to look in the morning unless someone else gets there today. But the car has been at the dealer for over a month, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll stay one more day!

I guess all of my co-workers just don't understand that when I have my mind set on something, that's what I want. And my mind is set on a Beetle! :D

Thank y'all for the input. Oh, and what octane fuel is best for that engine?
Whoa, very nice!!! Most people just don't understand Beetle mania, but who am I to talk, I drive a Jetta :rolleyes:

What color is the beauty? The first things I'd probably check out when getting a Beetle are the coolant and the last time the brake fluid was changed. The coolant's supposed to be a pink color in the reservoir and the brake fluid's supposed to be flushed and replaced every 2 years. At least that's how it is with my 2004, but maybe things have changed. Just to give a heads up :)

But good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts