VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am considering buying a used beetle for my 16 year old. there is a 99 GLS available with 111000 miles...

are there any red flags that i should look for before making this purchase? any common issues that i should be aware of? what would be a fair price for me to offer?

thanks

·
5/23/10 <3
11,480 Posts
Auto or manual? Automatics are prone to failure around 100k.

Also, make sure the timing belt and water pump have been changed. That is a pretty big maintenance cost that you'll want to have taken care of, especially at 110k!

·
Catch me riding s00ty!
3,981 Posts
Well... In my honest opinion, go for a 2001 if you can. In 2000, Vw Started fixing the minor problems the 98and99s had. Oh, and I test drove LOTS of bugs. The automatics before 2001 seems to ALL shift rough and one even had a bad tranny. :eek: I'm not saying NO DONT GET IT, i'm saying make sure you inspect it and play with EVERYTHING in the car.

The car I'm looking at has its issues, but things i don't mind at all.

That or do what i plan on doing and get the manual transmission. Less to worry about!

Oh, and be sure to check under the spare tire for water or rust. Make sure the car has pinkish/orange coolant. Oh and most importantly, make sure that the Timing Belt AND water pump have been changed. At 111k, i'd assume they have been, but its good to check!

Welcome to the Org btw! :wave: Be sure to let us know what you decide to do.

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
Agreed with getting a little bit older car. With 111K it SHOULD have the timing belt and waterpump replaced. Try to get a service record for it if you can. Automatics aren't as bad as everyone says, I have 113K on mine and it's fine. Though be aware that if and when it DOES go bad, that you will be replacing it with a 5speed manual. That'll be MUCH cheaper than trying to "repair" your automatic. For a 99 with that kind of mileage....maybe $5k to offer, more or less depending on condition. Is it a color concept? Is it a rare edition or something along those lines?

If you have some pictures of it, we will be able to offer more advice. I think price really should range on the condition and mileage of the car. Considering that the 99 has less miles than my 2002, that's good. :) But, if the body is rough or the interior is rough...I'd go for a lower price. Not many things on this car are "cheap" to replace. So consider that if there are issues with it. But if you have pics please post them and we can give you a better ball park of what to look for and what to offer. Good luck!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,480 Posts
Agree with everything thats been said.

I have a '99. It was my first car at 18 and I love it. No real issues with mine. The key is keeping up on maintenance. Definitely see if you can get the maintenance records on it. That will give you a much better idea of what shape the car is in. Post some pics too. We're glad to help a fellow NBer out! :)

·
Every one calls me Fuzzy
859 Posts
I just bought a 99 NB with the 5 sp trans I love it and got it for a good deal. I had it taken in to VW (even tho it was because the bat came disconnected) I had them look over it for an major problems. They didnt find any. O and I was told if they have had regular motor oil it is prob not a good buy, they recomemd a blend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all your help. I will call and ask some of these questions.

I can tell you that it is a 5-speed. It is red and there are a couple of small rust spots on the hood.

I will call the guy selling it today and ask about the timing belt, water pump and type of oil.

Is the clutch a big issue on these.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,480 Posts
As far as I know, they aren't a huge problem. I don't read about issues with them on here hardly ever. I have almost 84k on my car and she still is running great with no clutch issues whatsoever.

Glad to see its a 5-speed! Always good to get people to at least learn how to drive a manual. Its a great car to learn on and drive. I learned on my car...very forgiving and easy to figure out.

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
my boyfriend's best friend had a 2002 Jetta with a 5spd manual. He had 190K on the ORIGINAL clutch. Now granted, he drove like grandpa and babied the car, but still. That's really stinkin' good for a clutch! Where are you located? Is rust a normal issue on cars in your arrive, (are you in the north or is the car in the north). Cause if it's a southern car and has rust...I might be a bit concerned.

·
Every one calls me Fuzzy
859 Posts
I have about 152000, I dont know how the owners before me drove it but I drive it like I stole it and it has noproblem barking second. So I am not worried about getting a new cluch any time soon if i stop barking tires.

Cooky

·
Registered
8 Posts
looking to buy a NB

I've been looking a few different NBs to buy as a second car/teen car.
'98 5sp 2.0liter with 97K, hasn't had the timing belt/pump replaced, AC everything seems to work fine and the car is in good shape.
'99 5sp 2.0liter with 50k, AC doesn't work there are some rust bubbles on the roof (along seem between roof panel and tops of doors) otherwise the car drives/feels like new.

Both cars are in the $3500-$4000 range.

The 98 seems like a good car, but it would immediately need the rear oxygen sensor and the timebelt/pump replaced. Otherwise it seems like it's ready to go.

The 99 seems like a new car, except the AC doesn't work. The owner says she has never used AC. It it reasonable that it would only need to be recharged? What about rust? The VW warranty only covers corrosion when it has created a hole, and this isn't the case. Generally rust isn't a problem where I live, but there is a lot of rain/moisture here.

I'm guessing that at 50K, I shouldn't worry about the TB/water pump yet on the '99.

Any comments?

Thanks

·
Jerk got rid of the NBC
359 Posts
Here are some red flags...

If you are not super knowledgeable when it comes to cars then you might want to cough up the hourly rate to have a reputable mechanic take a look over the car.
Having people suggest things over a computer can be difficult as sometimes the simplest of suggestions can be overlooked and later cause major issues.
Good Luck with the car shopping.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I have replaced timing belts, water pumps and done other car repairs before (not VW). I'm just not as familiar with VWs so I've been reading this forum to get some background info.

I called a local shop who specializes in VWs and they said ~$600 for the tb/wp replacement. The shop said they recommend the TB/wb replacement at 105K. It sounds like most people here are more comfortable with 80K but definintely by 100K. I've seen the kits referenced in this forum and figure I would go ahead and do the job myself.

Thanks

·
2,646 Posts
I'm not a mechanic, but I have replaced timing belts, water pumps and done other car repairs before (not VW). I'm just not as familiar with VWs so I've been reading this forum to get some background info.

I called a local shop who specializes in VWs and they said ~$600 for the tb/wp replacement. The shop said they recommend the TB/wb replacement at 105K. It sounds like most people here are more comfortable with 80K but definintely by 100K. I've seen the kits referenced in this forum and figure I would go ahead and do the job myself.

Thanks
The 105K interval is required by CA law--my local VW dealer recommends 80K for the 2.0L and 1.8T, but many don't go that long w/o catastrophic results--if yours is original it is an exception to the norm at that mileage. The WP has a plastic impellor that breaks up and is the usual first culprit. I know of peeps here who've had their's fail as early as 23K! Mine was cracked at 75K when I changed it and my wife's Jetta lost its' pump totally prior to that...

·
Registered
8 Posts
The WP has a plastic impellor that breaks up and is the usual first culprit. I know of peeps here who've had their's fail as early as 23K! Mine was cracked at 75K when I changed it and my wife's Jetta lost its' pump totally prior to that...
Yeah, I've read about the impeller being plastic. You can only take cost cutting so far, but I guess they're (VW) not too worried after their warranty runs out...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts