VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know that the earlier TSi engines had a few issues and I am still undecided as if my 2012 1.4TSi beetle will encounter them, but recently its been having a bit of a power issue.

The cars got 43K on the clock now ( I got it at 28K) and it was serviced at 38K by VW, who chose not to replace the airfilter (or check it!) so I ended up putting in a Volkswagen Racing (from their motorsport division) foam filter in as I can clean it more regular and give the forced induction system an easier time getting air.

Anyway, before it was serviced (so before I put the filter in) I had a couple of instances where the car would just lack power completely. You'd put your foot down and it would accelerate probably a bit worse than a normally aspirated 1.4!It was like the forced induction had taken a holiday entirely, certainly the supercharger and the low end power!

Recently I have had it a couple of times in the past few weeks, same thing but under different conditions. Put VAGCOM on it, no codes and no issues. VW couldnt find anything when they did a test run and hooked it up to their computer at service point, I just dont think they were trying all that hard. I cant seem to replicate the conditions, it seems at random.

Anyone any ideas?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Where are you located; USA or somewhere else (DSG or manual)? Which transmission; do you have? Many, have complained, of the sense of a "lag" from the DSG transmissions. I think, there have been some software updates; that may have attempted to address the problem but not totally eliminated it.

If you can; please tell us the engine code and transmission code; so, we know which engine/trans you are referring to. As far as I can tell; here in the USA, the 2012 Beetle came with either a 2.5L 5 cylinder or 2.0T 4 cylinder; no, 1.4 TSI as a option. The 1.8T has now; taken over for the base 2.5L but as of 2016, the 1.4L TSI is not available in a USA spec Beetle but is in other cars, like the Jetta. I am only seeing; the 1.8T and 2.0T; being available, on the USA VW website.

A quick google; seems to indicate, the 1.4 TSI EA211 is built by Skoda in Czech Republic. From what I can tell; if this is your engine, it is turbocharged not supercharged? I think, there was also a "twin charger"; 1.4 TSI that had BOTH a supercharger and turbocharger, maybe that is your engine? Let us know; the engine code and that way, we will know for sure the engine you have.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1.4...1)&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you continue to have problems; I would contact VW customer care and log the problem. If your local dealer; is not getting anywhere with your issues, you might try another VW dealer. Hopefully, VW Customer Care; can work with your VW dealer and try to figure out, what is the problem. The next time you go in; I would ask if there are any recalls and if they have any software updates for the cars "ecu" or computer.

I wish, we had more feedback; from other 1.4TSI owners here but we don't have that engine. Keep us in the loop and let us know; how your call to VW Customer Care goes and if you local VW dealer, is able to figure out what the problem is! Thanks! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts