VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Beetle Biiper Boy
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 Color Concept with 1.8T, and the drivers side mirror is constantly adjusting itself upwards. It does not matter what I do with the power mirror controller - any directions to the bad mirror or to the other mirror are ignored, and leaving the controller in the middle doesn't make any effect. None of the fuses I've tried (like #1 for 'heated mirrors') turns off the adjuster motor.

Any ideas for getting it to stop? Suggestions as to other fuses to try? It's draining the battery...

·
Beetle Biiper Boy
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For the record, the battery sat drained and unused until June '22 when I finally cleared up my title problem; I got it registered and towed to a local shop. They charged it up and the mirror did not act up. Where actions with the switch had been totally ignored when I tried it, for the local shop it controlled the mirrors as expected.

So no switch replacement at this time but nervously watching the mirror in case it comes back.

·
Registered
17,694 Posts
I’ve had a switch break, ground out and make things go crazy, in my case the door lock switch, was the problem. If you have a vw scan tool, a bad switch or mirror motor, etc; will typically, throw a vw factory trouble code, pinpointing the failure. There are quite a few vw scan tools out there; if yiu are not up for the $199 for vcds, there are cheaper options, like OBDEleven for $65 or simple “VAG” code readers on amazon.

If you end up needing a new switch; Autozone sells them under their Duralast brand, i’ve found genuine vw parts in the box and they have a lifetime warranty.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts