VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 NB, 185,000 miles. Bad Beetle day today. Heading to a new job in NYC I caught a flat. Lugs were really tight, even after cracking them they were a bitch to remove. Finally got the spare mounted, tightened everything well and made my way into the city. Car drove fine, no issues at all. Was in the office late, picked the car up at the garage and I could barely turn the steering wheel. Popped the hood but it was 10pm and I couldn't see anything. Didn't notice any fluid on the ground as a drove away. Mostly highway driving in my 50 mile commute so I decided to head home. I'll inspect things in the morning, look for fluid but if I don't find any, could a pump go south anyhow? Could it be anything else?

Any guidance is very much appreciated.

-jeffrey

·
Registered
758 Posts
When you say "had a flat", do you mean the tire just lost air and was intact, or do you mean you shredded the tire, sending chunks of it everywhere? If it is the latter, then I'd suspect something broken in the power steering system which caused either a loss of fluid, or a restriction which is stopping the fluid from flowing. This could be a connection, fluid line, cooler, and etc.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually it did cut at low speed [20mph]. I don't believe enough for anything to whip around at any significant velocity. It did perform fine for my 50 mile commute, pulled into the parking garage in the city without any issue. I spoke with the attendant today and he said pulling in it was fine, however pulling out he heard a little grinding noise but the steering seemed fine. I picked the car up an hour after he pulled it out. When I got in, started it, there was no PS response, turning the wheel was like the motor was off.

I took a quick look this morning and didn't seen any fluid underneath ow within the engine compartment. Didn't have a chance to pop off the cap to check the fluid, I'm gonna head out in a few and see if there is anything inside.

-jeffrey

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'd get a second opinion from another mechanic. There is clearly something wrong with the system. It could be a coincidence that it started acting up after the flat tire, but I doubt it. I'd still put my money on some sort of physical damage to the system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts