NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 New Beetle Convertible with the 2.5L engine. I need to add a little power steering fluid, below min level. Should I use the VW fluid only? If not, what brand/spec will mix with the factory fluid available at a local parts store or internet? Thanks

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
VW or the pentosin CHF 11s in the green tin only. If it's the same as the older beetles. It's priced like liquid gold, so might wanna get that leak fixed soon ;)

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
It requires specific power steering fluid; you should be able to get it at any VW dealer in the parts dept., the other option is made by PENTOSIN. You maybe able to special order it from your local parts store, online or check with a independent repair shop that specializes in VW/European cars.

The Pentosin version is: part # CHF202

Volkswagen (2006 on); Spec. TL 52 146.01

Pentosin - Hydraulic Fluid

more info:

Vw Power Steering Fluid G002000 - Vw Power Steering Fluid G004000

It looks like O'riellys auto parts sells Pentosin products:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...en&model=Beetle&vi=1444292&mn=Pentosin&mc=PNT

·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi oh Randi:

I don't see that I have a leak, at least no spots or wet lines anywhere. It has been low for a while and found today that it is below the min line. Found a link that indicates a Prestone European AS268 is compatible with CHF 11S. Do you agree and can I use it? Thanks

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
According to Pentosins website; your 2009 is not compatible with CHF 11S; that version is used up until 2005. 2006 on; uses CHF202. You can look up parts and fluids by application here:

CRP - Electronic Parts Catalog

Prestone; seems to say it covers a number of specs: Suitable for use where CHF 7.1, 202 or 11S fluids are recommended

If the spec is CHF 202 for your vehicle (check your owners manual or the power steering reservoir cap); the Prestone would seem to be to spec. Their website; doesn't have a application guide you can look up. You might call Prestone to confirm: U.S. Product Assistance - Call 1.800.890.2075

·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am a little confused. Not to be argumentative, but just to clear this issue up. I have a Bentley downloaded maintenance schedule years ago and it shows G 002 000 which is CHF 11S. The Pentonsins site is as billymade states - I should use CHF 202. Which really is it?

·
Registered
14,056 Posts
What does it say; on the power steering fluid reservoir cap and your owners manual that came with the car? I have noticed; for example, that VW changes their specs for fluids from time to time (e.g. coolant versions have changed g11, g12, etc. and been discontinued, with the newer specs/versions taking the place of the old). I have also noticed; that Bentley info, does not always reflect those changes. Bentley Publishers lost their contract with VW; things have gone to Erwin now. When did you download the service info and what year was it for?

While, I am for using aftermarket products; this is one case, where the dealer will have the latest info, specs, parts, fluids etc.; based on etka and your vin number. From what I am seeing; the spec seems to have changed, from 2006 model year on; for example, if I look up my 2002 on the Pentosin website, it says it requires CHF 11S. This would show; how when newer cars, components come out; they upgrade the spec to meet the needs of the newer designed parts/cars. You could call your dealer parts dept. with your vin number and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I am a little confused. Not to be argumentative, but just to clear this issue up. I have a Bentley downloaded maintenance schedule years ago and it shows G 002 000 which is CHF 11S. The Pentonsins site is as billymade states - I should use CHF 202. Which really is it?
The VW part number for OEM fluid is now G004000M2 which is equivalent to the Pentosin CHF202 and works for VWs from 1990 or so.

You'll find the same thing with coolant, G12 is what your manual states but VW only sells G13 fluid now for all.

Oil is not quite the same with the newest engines, as an example my VW wants 505 spec, 2003-2006 TDI needed 505.1 and the newest TDIs in the 2012+ line need 507. But unlike the other fluids 507 is not for use with old engines and is compatible with the 504 spec for new gasoline engines supposedly, maybe even the same oil. I'm not certain on this as I don't have that new a vehicle.

·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could not find any reference to PS fluid on the car or in the manual. The Bentley spec sheet was downloaded in 2009.

So to sum all of this up - USE CHF202!

Thanks to all for their inputs and comments.

Uh, anyone sell CHF202 by the 1/2 pint?

·
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amazon or eBay may be the lowest cost store to buy it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts