NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife hit a deer and now I have no power steering. I found the 90 degree fitting bent at the flange - causing loss of fluid). Mama VW tells me I have to buy a whole pump. Seems rediculous that one couldn't buy the fitting by itself, any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
If you took the fitting to a hydraulic shop you could probably get a replacement, then install it with some sealer or maybe Teflon tape.

Bme

·
Registered
950 Posts
The fitting won't be found easily or at all. It likely is installed into the pump while it is being assembled for VW by another company. So VW doesn't even have a part number for it.

If you can find one, a used pump would likely be just as good. Just make sure it wasn't sitting dry, as I believe the pump uses the fluid for lubrication and if left to dry out would likely cause it to have issues.

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
The fitting won't be found easily or at all. It likely is installed into the pump while it is being assembled for VW by another company. So VW doesn't even have a part number for it.

If you can find one, a used pump would likely be just as good. Just make sure it wasn't sitting dry, as I believe the pump uses the fluid for lubrication and if left to dry out would likely cause it to have issues.
I think it is worth a try, at least here in the states. They work on so many different applications that they usually have a large selection. I would do a search on your area and check it out, especially with the price of a new one, ouch!

Bme

1 - 4 of 4 Posts