NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Re-ran FCM test & Fan test. Fans were bad /no low speed. Replaced the fans. New Fans work perfect before & after install!

I also have power to the white wire on the HP switch(G65)as test suggested.

Lets talk A/C Compressor: I have power to the compressor (as even before I replaced the fans..) I unplugged the compressor and Ohms tested the clutch/compressor leads.. nothing, nada, zip..ziltcho.. no readings..

What conclusion can I draw? Clutch is bad? Is there anything else hidden I don't see that can be signaling that compressor not to engage, does not all signal/power flow into the main harness- two wire lead?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A/C Clutch not engaging

I thank you for your reply, I see lots and lots and lots of test I can do..but seems like these parts I'm testing, if bad will prevent power to the compressor. I have LOTS of power to the compressor, so by default should these relays, switches ect.. be good?

My confusion is this.. I have current to the clutch, my screwdriver sticks to the A/C Clutch face and even the Alt pully!... from the magnetization. Is there any conclusion we can draw from that?

Are there internal switches residing "INSIDE" the compressor controlled by Freon pressures that could be keeping the clutch from engaging even if visibly power is directly flowing?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Double thread going here. It so, they would be upstream of the compressor, and you would not have switched power reading at the compressor, the basic part is simply a motor which runs a pump. So I don't have to look in the Bentley, now many leads feed it?

I assume this power you are measuring at the compressor is switched, right?

M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double thread going here. It so, they would be upstream of the compressor, and you would not have switched power reading at the compressor, the basic part is simply a motor which runs a pump. So I don't have to look in the Bentley, now many leads feed it?

I assume this power you are measuring at the compressor is switched, right?

M.
Yes. When the car is turned on and the A/C dash switch is on I have power to the compressor; The ONLY two wires I see running to it. Also the can see the clutch is magnetized by a screwdriver sticking to it.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
As it should be, the clutch is engaged with these electromagnets. Bottom line, reman a/c compressor, or have yours rebuilt, about the same cost, unless you have the experience and talent to do it yourself. I have had them rebuilt and I have bought reman and new ones. That decission is usually warranty and/or availablity based.

M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A/C Compressor issues

As it should be, the clutch is engaged with these electromagnets. Bottom line, reman a/c compressor, or have yours rebuilt, about the same cost, unless you have the experience and talent to do it yourself. I have had them rebuilt and I have bought reman and new ones. That decission is usually warranty and/or availablity based.

M.
Thanks:). You have confirmed my thoughts. I double checked everything. I actually only have a very weak Mag-field, no resistance reading at all.
(and sorry for the double thread my forum-rookieness :eek:)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Let us know the outcome, but I think your in the right place.

And don't worry about the duplicate thread, sometimes when a thread changes direction a different title garners more attention and responses. I do it sometimes for just that reason, or suggest to someone that they do a better title because of lack of readers. But I do, or suggest that the put a link to the old in the new and vice-versa. Like "Old thread here -" OR "Updated thread here -"

Deb may come along and merge them, or not.

M.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts