VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

My daughter and a friend took the bug for a spin last week top down. When the tried to raise it the top the rear quarter window wouldn't go up. I assumed based on my reading here that the regulator cable was bad, so I ordered a replacement. I pulled the regulator yesterday and everything looked fine. So I lubricated it and put it back together. Now the window/s all work fine and the power top pump runs (loudly) but the top won't move either way. The only codes were for a non-responsive rear window. Top still won't operate. Please help! Thanks!

·
Registered
14,350 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an Xtool VAG401. I know it will read measurement blocks but I don't know what channel to select. Will I have to buy the VCDS?

·
Registered
14,350 Posts
The video shows the reader blocks/live data. I haven't used the vag 401 but it works in a similar way, although it seems to be less intuitive.

If you are new to using the VAG 401; you might check out this site: (note the info about reader blocks):

I cannot say, if the vag 401 will work exactly like vcds (theoretically it should));i would try to read the same way and see if it works for you? Keep in mind, the Chinese knockoff VAG scan tools; may or may not work, they are inexpensive and this is reflected in their usability and lack of support (you get what you pay for).

You might try the bypass procedure, shown in the video and that should help close the top. This can happen; if it gets stuck, from a sensor error and won't close.

·
Registered
1964 Deluxe, 2005 GLS 2014 Rline
313 Posts
Hey All!

My daughter and a friend took the bug for a spin last week top down. When the tried to raise it the top the rear quarter window wouldn't go up. I assumed based on my reading here that the regulator cable was bad, so I ordered a replacement. I pulled the regulator yesterday and everything looked fine. So I lubricated it and put it back together. Now the window/s all work fine and the power top pump runs (loudly) but the top won't move either way. The only codes were for a non-responsive rear window. Top still won't operate. Please help! Thanks!
have you checked the pump for fluid? The whole VCDS things is a wast of time if you have no codes via OBD2 don’t go buying a $300 scan tool without checking the pump. A loud pump could be no or very low fluid

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: I checked the fluid level and all is well. I'm suspecting a position switch as when I first turn the key the top position indicator light flashes yellow for a few seconds. I keep thinking it will throw a code that I can read with the XTool V401 (and hopefully not have to buy the VCDS)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: A follow-up from my previous post. I still have not figure out how to read the live data blocks with the XTool. So based on the number of post I found with similar operating problems, I ordered the F171 top position ram (passenger side on the power top ram). I got it installed yesterday..........and..........nothing. Top still makes a lot of noise and refuses to move. I tested the original and found it to be operational..

So in frustration I dug out the XTool again. Digging through the menus I happened on the Comfort Systems and the Automatic Sunroof menu. AND I FINALLY FOUND A CODE!!

Switch for Left
Convertible Top Locking
F323, Open

But now my Google Fu is failing. About the only thing I can find about this Error Code is a post by [email protected] on VW Vortex saying it is the rear locking mechanism. New prices for this part are ridiculous (MSRP almost $1K). I this a part I can get used? My local Pick a Part yard shows 3 convertibles on the lot. Or should I try to get the whole roof assembly (my top is not in great shape)?

·
Registered
14,350 Posts

This video, goes over the switch, location and how to replace it.

You might test the switch; see if it bad or if you can try to clean it with electrical contact cleaner (i use crc qd cleaner #05103; walmart has the best price).

This self study program; goes over the top system and sensor locations, etc.

Self Study Program 281 – The New Beetle Cabriolet

A replacement part, would be up to you; new or used, see what is cost effective and what you can afford.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the response Billymade. That's the part I replaced yesterday (F171). The error I'm getting now is F323. Can you tell me where this sensor is?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SOLVED So as a recap. Using the self study program @billymade linked I was able to locate the lock mechanism. Upon removing the rear side panel I saw that there was a small hydraulic strut (that pulls the top outer fabric taught) had come loose and gotten jammed in the top lock mechanism. The sound I was hearing was not the pump grinding but the lock servo turning endlessly because the gear drive mechanism was stripped so the lock mechanism never cycled from open to close (F323 error). I found one in the junkyard for $20 and the top is operational now. The other big discovery for me was with the XTool v401. I was never able to read live data blocks, but I was able to read the error codes by running diagnostics on the "Comfort Systems" and "Automatic Sunroof" sections. I hope this helps someone in the future. Thanks to everyone, especially @billymade for the info/assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts