VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

We have an '08 Beetle Hatchback. The passenger side window stopped working. Its not a mechanical regulator problem, it is something electrical.

First thing I did was check the switches. Nothing changed when swapping switches.

I then plugged the passenger side motor into the driver side door, and it worked fine.

I just went through the passenger door harness and verified continuity between each wire and the plug inside the vehicle.

The next thing I was going to do is the same on the drivers side harness.

One thing that I noticed which could either be a freak event, or something else.

I had the battery disconnected in the vehicle. When I connected power again, the passenger side window seemed to work for a few seconds. I was able to roll it down and then up again, and then it stopped.

I understand that the windows run through a bus system and also have a control module.

I am hoping I will find a break somewhere in the drivers door harness that could fix it, but we will see.

On a side note, there is some sort of issue with the central locking. You sometimes need to unlock, then lock with the remote to actually lock the doors. They will also sometimes lock on their own with the door open, and the dome lights don't always response with the door open. I don't know if any of this will cause an issue with the windows or not, but I figured I'd throw it in.

Does anyone have any advice, or have seen this type of issue before with the window?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Hey, first I would scan with a VW compatible scanner; electrical faults, many times will throw a VW specific code (which can help you diagnose the problem). The one issue that sounds like a strong possibility; is the door locking mechanism, the solder joints and microswitches fail. Because of this; all kinds of goofy problems can happen, which can be very confusing (the fact that your dome light don't come on; is a good indication that switches in the door latch are compromised).

The window issue; may or may not be related but I have seen on my car, a electrical fault causing the data bus to stop working or running in a "single wire" mode. This could cause; other things on the bus to not communicate or work correctly. Here is an example of the error:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01336

The benefit of the factory level scan tools like VCDS by Ross Tech; is their ability to, Check Measuring Value Blocks. This is great feature; because, the tool can attempt communicate with a device in the car, in a real world installed situation. If the tool cannot communicate with the device; you have a problem, this confirms the issue. To know which blocks to read; you need a vw factory manual or find info online. Read more about this type of testing procedure here:

http://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/tour/m-blocks.html

So, my first thought; would be to fix your door latches and see if that helps the other issues. The wiring harness from the body to the door, is a CLASSIC failure which causes bizarre and weird electrical gremlins and failures. Have you noticed; any tampering or hacking of the harness? Lately, we are seeing many members; come here with inop convenience devices, after inspection... come to find out, people have butchered the electrics trying to "fix" things. So, closely inspect everything; to see if anything is compromised.

On the door latch issues; here are some links and videos, that show the common problems. You can try to repair them or just replace them.

VWVortex.com - MKIV door locks explained - why you're having problems!!! :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5dtdyDDgrw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNmb8KUBAPQ

For VW manuals and testing, troubleshooting procedures: (2007 model; closest to yours, probably very similar if not the same)

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswagen/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help!

When I get some more time, I will go through the driver harness. I noticed at quick glance it looks like someone butt connected the larger yellow wire which I believe is the power side of the window motor. The fuel door release just stopped working. I verified the actuator is OK, but I am not getting +12 to the switch. Again, I'm assuming there is a problem in door harness. I have a friend who works at a Nissan dealer, which is also a VW dealer. I an going to see if he has someone who could scan the system with the VW tool. I don't know if I want to hang on to this car long enough to justify spending the money for a VW specific scan tool.

I'll update once I get some time to look at it again.

The locking system is yet a whole other project now.

All of these problems are not leaving me very fond if VW's lol

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yeah, well there are known failure points on these cars and those are the areas we can help you with. To keep these on the road; you need to have the patience, desire to repair them yourself or find a good independent shop that specializes in Volkswagens to do it for you. There is a learning curve and a level of sophistication; to the whole computerized systems that run everything. However, with the right tools; a vw type scanner and some help from forums like these, you CAN fix things yourself and save thousands of dollars in repair costs. Owning and maintaining these cars; can be a challenge but if you are up to it.... You will learn allot along the way! We are all here to help; collectively we have seen pretty much everything that can go wrong with these cars! That is a very powerful resource to have access to! Welcome to the .org! :) let's get this thing fixed! :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts