VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 98 Beetle, 2.0, 5 speed. The person I got it from divulged some of the issues with it but not nearly all of them. The problems I need help right now are:
1. Each of the power windows work as long as that is the only one (motor) is hooked up. If you plug both in, neither works from any of the switches. When they work, the key doesn't have to be in the ignition, or even in the car.
2. Other item is the power door lock. The passengers lock will work when the window motor is hooked up, it only does the passengers door, not the drivers. In fact the drivers door will not work at all with any switch any way, you can only open it with the key, or the inner door handle.
Sort of a rambling question but I try to get all the info out for your perusal. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
It sounds like someone may have installed a passenger door motor in the driver's door thinking it was identical to the passenger side one. The power window motors contain microcontrollers that operate the power windows, power locks and remote mirrors for each door. They operate by serial communications bus with the central controller and each has a different bus address. When both door motors are plugged in there will be two devices with the same address resulting in the failure.

If you plan on keeping the car for a while and want to be able to work on it yourself you should invest in VCDS software. It give you access to all the VW-specific diagnostics on the car. It will tell you what all the electrical faults are and save a lot of time and frustration trying to get it sorted out. Here is the website:

Ross-Tech: Products

The cheapest way to go is to buy what I have: VCDS-lite software and a $15 OBDII-USB cable from ebay. The full VCDS will be better if you want to use it on multiple or newer vehicles. The mobile version is pretty new and I haven't heard anything about it yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have checked the motors and they are not the same, so I am pretty sure they are the correct ones. I guess there is a possiblility that the electrical part (the controller) may have been switched. I do plan on getting a VAG Comm, I have the Beetle and an 02 and 03 Jetta, so it would probably help me out in the long run. I have been looking at the VS405 VAGCOM. Any insight on if this is going to meet my needs? I will try to check the controllers in the next few days to see if I can see if they are the same one. Thanks for the help.

·
'02 Snap Orange 1.8T/5spd
152 Posts
You might also want to call the dealer parts dept. give them your VIN, and have them look up which power window motor part number is correct for your vehicle. There are quite a few different versions of the power window motors, as well as the door wiring harnesses, comfort control module, and door lock assemblies.

I'm in the midst of resolving this same (and other related) issue with ours, and have discovered (via call to the dealer) that some butcher installed the wrong power window motors by part number, as well as the driver's door wiring harness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts