NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our beetle. When we hit the window roll down switch to passenger side or rear windows, the window will roll down but when we hit the switch to roll them up the windows will keep on rolling down. The only way to get the windows to roll up is to use the switch that controls all the windows. Also the drivers window will not roll up or down. The power mirrors dont work and some times when we switch the mirror switch to the middle the door lock actualator will just start clicking. Anyone have any ideas on what is going on?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
You have a strange one!

The mirror switch causing the door locks to start clicking is a bit strange.

When the power mirror switch is put in the middle position it is supposed to turn on the mirror defrosters.

You did not say year your car is, must be a 2003 or newer?

I am thinking that you may have a short/broken wires in the harness in the door jam?? This is just a guess as I have not really looked over the wiring diagrams.

You may also have a bad driver door motor or maybe the wiring connector is not properly seated on the drivers window?

Has your door ever been changed/damaged on your car?

Sounds like you need to at least to pull the drivers door panel and inspect window motor connection?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the door card off. Looks like all the wiring goes though the window motor. Could a bad motor cause issues like this? Im going to inspect all wiring in the door jam tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I am not sure VW had problems with the wiring in the door jam break, but BMW had this issue with the trunk wiring harnesses.

I cannot recall how all the wiring is routed in the door, I know I have may doors apart and the window motor did have a big connector, I just did not pay close attention to the wire routing.

Also have you had any water leaks in the car? Maybe there is a module that has had water damage?

Also try to roll windows up and down while holding key in drivers door lock to just see what happens. If you hold the key in the lock or unlock position, the windows should all roll up or down on most cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all the wiring appears to be good. The drivers window does not roll down at all. When i put the key in the door and try to roll down windows with they key that does not work either.. Also when I try to roll down the drivers window with the switch the litter red light on the door panel starts blinking...

I suspect the drivers side window motor is bad but am stumped on why the other windows are acting funny.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I have a 2003 convertible, this was the first year for the Vert.

What year is your car?

I have not been able to determine how much smarts are in the window motor, but I am starting to think there is something more to the window motors??

Also BE VERY CAREFUL if you plan on changing the window motor. These cars had SO many window problems, many of the 2003/2004 cars were retrofitted with the newer 2005 window motors and regulators. My car was retrofitted with the newer motors and regulators and as I recall there is a BIG difference.

Your motors should have a part number on them that you can give to the parts department and they may also need to check a 2005 to compare. I cannot recall if the motor and regulator are separate or an assembly?

Just for kicks before you dig too deep, you may want to check all your fuses and disconnect you battery overnight to see if anything changes. Sometimes modules go stupid and disconnecting the battery will clear their stupidity?

Try to note if the light in the door comes on when you open the door. The door latches go in these cars ALL the time and you may want to replace the latch while you have your door apart. Door latch for the drivers side is ab out $125 wholesale if the parts department gives you decent pricing.

My car is in its 3rd set of door latches for each door!

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a shot earlier today. Bought a new motor from the dealer. Problem solved. I find it weird that a bad motor would cause everything else to be screwy..

·
Registered
29 Posts
The problem on my '05 Beetle is that the drivers window rolls down fine and will almost roll all of the way up but it stops about an inch from the top. I can get it to close if I push it up with my hand. I guess I need a new motor now.

How bad of a job is this? Easy, hard, piece of cake?

Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts