NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
An Air-Cooled Fan, Too!
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at the brochure for the '06 N.B. and noticed under "fuel requirements" it says "premium fuel recommended." I wonder, then, if it's still okay to use reg. unleaded, or even the mid-grade unleaded? Wonder how many of you '06 owners are only using premium?

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
This is a good question - b/c the 2.0L recommends a min of 91 octane but I've always been fine running 87 (no pinging/knocking).

I'd have to say, if the 2.5 requires premium, that'd have me marking it off my Christmas list ;)

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
The 2.0L requires 91? 0_o ... I dont know. I know my 1.8T does. But why would the 2.0L?

91 octane isnt that much more than 87/mid anyway. 10cents? If you buy 10 gallons .. it is only a dollar more for filling up! Over the course of a year ... $50ish? $48/year more. I would just cut back on my Starbucks! LOL! ;)

I doubt that VW is in cahoots (sp) with the petroleum ind. so, why not use what is recommended?

·
Just having fun!!!!!!!!!!
333 Posts
On the gas cap of my 06' it says you can use 87 octane. Thats what I've been using since I pulled off the lot 2178 miles ago.:) Hope that helps.:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
Mine also says 87 octane as the required appetite...but the sticker also has a 91 octane for what I believe is the european octane method of calculation. :D

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
My 2.0L's fuel door sticker does state 87 octane as the minimum. ;) My 1.8T's door states 91.

The 2.5L has a minimum of 87 octane (better acceptance, no premie needed! :D)

-Des

·
MattyJ
15 Posts
the manual said 91 octane (or 93 RON?) but the dealer and the gas cap both say 87. Running 87 and it does great! (800 miles later)

·
member of the old *****
31 Posts
nb

Porkchop said:
This is a good question - b/c the 2.0L recommends a min of 91 octane but I've always been fine running 87 (no pinging/knocking).

I'd have to say, if the 2.5 requires premium, that'd have me marking it off my Christmas list ;)
the book that came with my 03 nb 2.0 said to use 87 octane:confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Still using 87, but our gas mileage is getting maybe 28mpg tops and that's mostly highway driving. We have 2200 miles on it now. Kinda hoping it gets more like the low 30's like our 2.0 did.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FWIW, the manual for the '06 Jetta reads "premium recommended" for the 2.5 and the 2.0FSI.

Odd. My sis is looking at a 2.5 now... If she gets it I'll check the sticker on the fuel flap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My sister picked up her Jetta 2.5 this past weekend... Regular Fuel, according to the filler flap. She got 26.4mpg for her first tank. Not bad, not as good as my 2.0T, tho.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Currently @ 3300 miles and have used only 87 octane with an average of 28 mpg. So far no problems at all on the 87....:)

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
digitalputty said:
The 2.0L requires 91? 0_o ... I dont know. I know my 1.8T does. But why would the 2.0L?

91 octane isnt that much more than 87/mid anyway. 10cents? If you buy 10 gallons .. it is only a dollar more for filling up! Over the course of a year ... $50ish? $48/year more. I would just cut back on my Starbucks! LOL! ;)

I doubt that VW is in cahoots (sp) with the petroleum ind. so, why not use what is recommended?
I have a 2003 NBC 2.0 and inside the gas cover lid it requires high octane 91. I've never put more than 87 octane and it runs fine. Maybe VW put the 1.8T gas lid on my 2.0?

·
Registered
995 Posts
I guess it depends upon what you read. The sales brochure for the 2006 New Beetles says"Fuel Type: unleaded. (premium recommended" Inside the fuel door it says "regular unleaded". The owner's manual under technical data says "Premium fuel" and then says several times throughout the booklets, "the correct fuel type for your car is inside the fuel door" The VW dealers tell me" I represent VW so I need to tell you "premium", however if you test the fuel in the tank upon delivery, it will be regular"
I guess this means so long as you use regular, 87 octane minimum, you should be OK. Someone else posted the idea to try a few tank-fulls of each type, and see what works best for your car, preformance and mileage wise.

·
Achtung Baby
1,643 Posts
Last night for the first time, I used the midgrade gas instead of the low. Wow it made a big difference. My car is running alot better, no pinging now and actually feels faster?
~Shelly

1 - 20 of 29 Posts