NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone here can assist, I've searched and found nothing
I have a 2000 VW beetle I bought to restore/sell. The seller had the engine rebuilt, poorly I might add, I have had it all back together and after some work running. My issue is the loud noises when the clutch is not engaged and its hard to shift. I pulled the Transmission off and the pressure plate is making contact with the transmission housing (the round flat spot next to the input shaft). I have watched videos on the DMF and mine appears to be normal, only moves a small number of degrees ~10 and has very little play rocking. Is it possible there are more than one clutch assemblies for this year and they put the incorrect one on it?

·
Registered
14,059 Posts
Have any pictures and can you post the part #'s, brand or any markings at all from the parts? Maybe we can confirm the parts are right or wrong; your vin # and the engine/transmission code would help as well. When getting used cars; you never know what people may have put in them; they could be a used: engine, transmission from a junkyard or who know what else (and the parts may not be compatible or the right ones!?). You can call your local VW dealer with your vin # and the parts dept. will be able to tell you what the part #'s are for your particular car. Seeing how the rebuild and other work were shoddy; it seems very possible they did get the wrong parts as well. Call the dealer or give us more info... hopefully we can help! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Information on vehicle, Help appreciated

VIN # 3VWDD21C9YM464792

Pictures
The first one shows the contact on the housing
IMG_0764.jpg
The second I assume is the Transmission casting or part number
IMG_0768.jpg
Closer view of the contact point in number 3
IMG_0769.jpg
and the last one shows where it is contacting the clutch fork.
IMG_0770.jpg

Again I have watched the DMF check videos and it appears to be within tolerance.

This is what the clutch set looks like.. but not new.

4.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have this resolved

The re-builder put the automatic flywheel shim behind the flywheel on the manual transmission. Should know in a couple days if this was the issue.

:)

·
Registered
14,059 Posts
Something is definitely not right; do you have the part #'s for the pressure plate, disk, throw out bearing and the flywheel? I would definitely confirm they are all the right parts before putting the transmission back in (that is allot of work; I would want it to be done right, not have to pull it again!). You also might want to take your DMF somewhere and make sure it is within spec and that they think it is within spec; DMF's are a weak area and fail point on our cars. Got any pics of the clutch parts? What condition are they in?

If you do end up needing to replace the clutch; the Valeo flywheel/clutch conversion kits are pretty reasonably priced and a quality DMF replacement solution, (compared to stock).

Valeo Clutches » Products » Clutch Kits » Clutch Conversion Kits :: Solid Flywheel Conversion :: Valeo Clutches

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Misplaced Spacer?

Did you see the Spacer too? Shouldn't be there right? The part number on the pressure plate has been worn off due to the contact. IMG_0777.jpg

·
Registered
14,059 Posts
I have only worked on a 6 speed in my Turbo S; again, I would suspect everything and recheck that all the parts are correct. Takes time and some research but would double check all the parts before putting it back together. You might want to get some help from whoever did the work before you (they should guarantee their work; return the car to them and have them sort out their screw up) or your local vw parts dealer or good import parts house. If you can properly identify all the parts; you probably can figure out if they are right from resources online. Get all the part #'s and start your research or post all of them up here... maybe we can help.

Here is a exploded view of the clutch parts:

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/BE/2000/206/49/2496139/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts