VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
New beetle owner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bragging..finished my clutch job on my 98 2.0 yesterday....pretty stoked...before this the biggest thing I did on it myself was the timing belt.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
cool

Congrats, I know mine has the original clutch (202k miles) and is due anytime now. I might need to get up with you for a few questions later when I get around to doing mine. Is there a DIY thread around here for that job?

·
New beetle owner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did research in the Hynes manual but found better info for what to take apart by this YouTube vid. I still used the manual for torque specs and a few other things .

https://youtu.be/XJshGRgU28g

I am able to take my time doing it as I have my 03 GMC pickup to drive also. So it took me ...a month ha ha ..as I was lazy doING it..and needed my 2 sons to help me take the tranny out and put it back in....there isn't much room to manuever it out. I also made a 2x4 engine brace/lift instead of the nice one they showed in the vid. Worked great ..with an 8" long bolt and short chain....watch the vid a few times before doing it .

PM me any questions.....

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
cool vid

cool vid I just wonder how much different it would be for the 1.8t engine like mine. I thought the clutch wheel had to be aligned a specific way when you put back in. I noticed the pressure plate and actual clutch wheel came out as one unit then came apart. Did you have the fly wheel machined/resurfaced? Did you replace the 3 seals he talked about in the vid?

·
New beetle owner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The seals were good. And the clutch did go on only a certain way. The pins only line up one way

·
New beetle owner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That tool you keep installed in the clutch plate through the pressure plate until you tighten it up to keep the clutch plate aligned

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
That's a clutch alignment tool! Keeps the disc centered (before you tighten down the pressure plate); so, when you stab the trans it will perfectly align with the input shaft. Basically it is replicating the input shaft; before you stab it in. On my air cooled bugs; I had a extra old input shaft, I used as a alignment tool.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
New beetle owner
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It worked great...but that manual Trans is a bugger to get back in place I will tell ya that !!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Yeah, unless the car is on a lift and you have a trans jack; I would assume it would be tough on the ground with jack stands! Just be thankful you had the 5 speed and not the 02M six speed! Those are hard to get in and out; even with a lift! Ask me how I know! :)

By the way; which clutch did you go with?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
ok

That tool you keep installed in the clutch plate through the pressure plate until you tighten it up to keep the clutch plate aligned

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
oh okay cool, now it's starting to clear up on me. I have a tranny jack I found dirt cheap in craigslist years ago and ready for when this job comes up. Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
thanks

That's a clutch alignment tool! Keeps the disc centered (before you tighten down the pressure plate); so, when you stab the trans it will perfectly align with the input shaft. Basically it is replicating the input shaft; before you stab it in. On my air cooled bugs; I had a extra old input shaft, I used as a alignment tool.

;)

:rolleyes::goodjob:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts