NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

Story of how I came to own a new beetle this week :)

I'm the proud keeper of a recently acquired 18 yr old college going nephew. The boy arrived at my house with a 1988 s10 pickup (aka the teeny tiny piece of elderly you know what). He's been here 3 weeks and the truck has been broken in a new and increasingly expensive ways! The truck was his father's idea and let's just say that calling an amazing moron for sending his child off to college without a reliable car is an understatement.

So I give said boy my Toyota Matrix to drive - good reliable mom car! And with that, I am left with nothing to drive to work! Not having much money to spare, I start looking for relaible cars that were at least made in this century!!

So enters the 'new to me!' 2000 deep blue new vw beetle I just bought. With 154k miles, a busted grille, minus 1fog light (it came off in nephew's hand when he was looking at why it was hanging at an odd angle), and a few body dings - I am probably certifiably insane but it is sooooo much fun to drive!!!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
Registered
13,135 Posts
Well, to stop the insanity; you might have your car professionally checked out by a vw shop, that way... you don't have any unexpected "surprises" and get left on the road somewhere! Knowledge is power; in this case, knowing the condition of your beetle and what needs attended to... could really help! Congrats on your Beetle!

·
Super Moderator
14,756 Posts
You're certifiable, I'm certifiable, we're ALL certifiable! :crazy:

Welcome to the Org, and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party: Me thinks you have a Batik Blue one. Awesome! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice! I am taking it to our favorite mechanics next week for a 100000+ mile looksee!! We have a VW dealership in town but these guys are much better (ie honest!!) - they work only on vw, mini, BMW, etc. They took good care of my mini before I had to give it up for the mom car so I know they will do a good job with my bug!!

The nephew and I are going to tackle putting a new grille assembly on as soon as all the parts come. He's terribly excited to start - he left his 1970 vw bug at home when he came to live with us and misses it :)

I think you're right about it being batik blue. The original window sticker just says deep blue, but when I google the paint code, it comes up batik!

Thanks again!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts