NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop I go to for oil changes just told me that until further notice they're not doing VW's with aluminum oil pans anymore, which includes my car.

Seems that if tightened improperly there's the possibility that the steel drain plug can strip the threads in the aluminum pan.

I've never had anyone tell me this before and this is certainly not my first oil change.

Is this a real possibility? If so has anyone come up with a remedy to minimize or eliminate this potential problem?

Thanks in advance, trshman

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes it is possible to damage the thread by overtightening.The solution is simple,don't overtighten the drain plug.If they are afraid to change the oil because they can't do it right I darn sure wouldn't let them work on my car.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have read that this is a problem with the oil pans. You're shop just doesn't want to have, OR inherit someone else's, workmanship issues. If this is the position of the shop you are using, might be best to move on anyway. You probably need to find a good independent VW specialty shop anyway. Who has been doing the service work like the timing belt and water pump replacement? Or have you recently acquired the vehicle?

MORAV

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you both for your response.
I acquired the car in February but have had about 4 oil changes in that time done at 2 different shops, one local and the other about 30 miles away. Both places in my opinion really know their stuff.
It's the local shop that turned me away the other day. That decision came down from upper management as a result of people coming in with damage to the oil pan done at a local Wal-Mart.

I've got 2 other cars that I get serviced there so the fellow that works on them said he's going to talk to his manager and see if can get them to ok working on my vw. It kind of freaked me out to hear that an overzealous mechanic can cause that kind of problem.

Thanks for the input. trshman

·
Registered
11,569 Posts
Its interesting how VW now has a hybrid aluminium and steel pan as a replacement now... I think it was initially for the impact issue on the aluminium ones but the steel threads would hold up better then the aluminium ones too!

1.8T hybrid oil pan - Google Search

1 - 6 of 6 Posts