NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2001 1.8 turbo GLX Beetle and there is a problem with the brakes. When you start the vehicle the brake pedal will go all the way to the floor and pressure will build then push the pedal up, even while you are still pressing, and will then begin to roll. The only way to prevent this from happening is after you start the car, is to pump the brake pedal a few times before putting in gear. If you do not do this, you will have not brakes. Any idea what is causing this?

·
tim
62 Posts
my 1st guess would be the master cylinder has failed, and needs replacement.
how`s the brake fluid level? is it staying full or are you having to add brake fluid? if your having to add fluid , then I`d say you have a leak in the brake system.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
first check fluid level before pressing the pedal and then after . . . leave the car and check again . . . if there is fluid missing then you have a leak . . . If you have no way to be under your bug and check brake hoses then place it on a clean surface, press pedal several times and then remove it and check for spots. if you find any then probably you have a problem with a hose or a bleeder. . . if the spot is under your engine check the fluid pot and if any the check master pump - cylinder . . . hope it helps

P.S also check inside wheels cause sometimes the leak is small and fluid runs from inside calipers and drops inside rims . . .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts