VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with BBA-Reman today. They told me the cluster in my VW has water damage and electrical damage and they can not fix it. They said they could not read it. My guages do not work. Now what do I do? Can I just buy another cluster and plug it in and it work ok? Immobizer is turned off on the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2005 VW beetle. Speedometer, tach, and gas gauge do not work. Immobilizer light came on previously. I had that turned off in the computer. The car will start and run now, it would not previously. It had a bad sunroof leak and car had water in it. I cause mold and mildew in the car. I guess this was hard on the gauge cluster too.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
You might get another used cluster, same part number and try it out but the odometer reading will reflect the car it was installed in previously. I did a cluster swap process, including odometer settings transfer but in my case, the immo is intact (using vagtacho and vcds). After the immo delete, from what we have heard; the immo light will blink, this can be resolved by covering with tape or desoldering the led light, requiring speedo disassembly.

Let us know, how you want to proceed and if the odometer reading, swap over is a issue for you and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some that tell me I can not put another cluster in it without programming it. Then I have others that say it will work just fine except the odometer will be wrong. So what the hell is a guy to do???

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
I can only relate what i have experienced (i did not delete the immobilizer); that being said, get a good used speedo, same part number if possible and try it out, see how it goes?

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
The immo chip with the hex data; from what they say, is on the circuit board, in the speedo cluster. So, a chip on the ecu and one on the speedo for some reason, supposedly different from the golf/jetta.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
If the immo is turned off , get a new working cluster, it will work fine, once installed it will read as billy said the miles of the previous car. Get a cluster with the same part number. Placing a piece of tape over the blinking immo light is not hard. Just be sure you’re covering the immo light and not something else.

My daughter had a dead cluster when she bought her beetle, we did an immo delete and I found a cluster on eBay, covered the light with tape and she’s been good ever since. Honestly I forget that we even changed out her cluster. The cluster I found was within 30k miles of hers so we didn’t even bother to try adjusting the mileage.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Thejarhead. I appreciate that info. I felt like 2 or 3 of these people were trying to blow smoke up my ass and take my money. I thought it should work. I knew the odometer would be from the other vehicle. When mine gets back from BBA-Reman I will get the part number. I would never send anything to them again. The told in the beginning it would be a 24 hour turn around time. They had it for a week. And then I had to call them twice to find out about it. Then they said they couldnt fix it. And charged me $35 and shipping back. Never again.

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
We have had recent reports; of bba-reman, not being able to fix clusters. Whether the eeprom chip; really is damaged and not readable, I guess is a open question. While, the odometer reading bein "correct"; may not be a issue for some, it can be changed. Ian @ Reflect Tuning, can help; you might contact him and see what solutions he offers.

When, I replaced my cluster; he offered me to change the odometer reading to a specific milage or change it to "zero", which would enable me to use VCDS by Ross Tech, to do the programming required to input the new reading. I chose to do the zero out; then, used VCD to go the rest (allot of work; I recommend, having someone do it for you). This, is how, for example,; a "normal" repair process, would take place say at a VW dealership with a brand new factory part with not milage on it. Of course, now with many odometers; being no longer available new from VW, we have to get creative and figure out, how to do things, by using VCDS or VagTacho, modifying the hex data, reflashing the data, etc.

While, BBA-REMAN, said it was "unrepairable"; was there a odometer reading in the lcd and was the milage advancing? We have had some members here; swap out parts, say for a dead gauge (water damage: could definitely, wipe out a board, although people repair water damage circuit boards all the time), put in a good used stepper motor with good results. If the circuit board is toast; obviously this wouldn't help and swapping in a good used one, is the way to go. Whether BBA-REMAN, has the needed new parts; to do a proper onboard repair or choose, to not fix things, at a certain damage level, is a open question. Recently, I was recommending, people; send a extra good cluster along with the repair and that way, they could swap over parts or hex data, to come out with a functional cluster, especially if they are keeping their immo system intact.

Based upon yours and others current feedback; I guess, BBA-REMAN, does not sound like a good repair service to recommend at this time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BBA-REMAN appears to have closed in early 2022 - I got this reply to an email I sent in Nov 2022:

BBA Remanufacturing Inc
30 Robert W Boyden Rd
Taunton, MA, Suite 300 A
2022-01-17
We are sorry to announce that BBA-Reman USA is closing for the foreseeable future with immediate effect. We have regrettably come to this decision after dealing with challenging circumstances during the last few years brought on by the COVID 19 pandemic.
We are currently in the prosses of sending out all remaining units we have in the shop. All units will be ship out via USPS in the coming weeks. All customers will be called and/or emailed to let you know when your unit is being shipped along with the tracking number.
If you would like to pick up your unit in person, please email [email protected] with the subject line “pick up”. We will email you back with a time and date and have your unit ready for at the specified time.
Please contact us at [email protected] with any questions. Thank you again for your business.
Sincerely,
BBA-Reman

·
Registered
18,828 Posts
Well, maybe “”good riddance”(?); most of the feedback from members has been particularly negative, either they couldn’t fix their cluster, claimed it was too damaged or damaged the clusters, attempting to fix the customers parts/clusters? Many, ended up frustrated; felt they had wasted their time, money and in the worst case, damaged the parts they needed to be repaired, to begin with!

What is your current situation; do you have any problems with your cluster, need repairs or replacement?

Since this discussion, many members, have found other shops to do this type of work; solutions, being to swap in a used one with a immo deleting the ecu or have the coding/hex data transferred over to a new/good used unit with success. Many, claim they can repair them but it seems hit or miss. The gauge stepper motors, can be replaced with new ones (eBay, online suppliers, etc) but it seems, repairing on board failed components or replacing the circuit board is the other problem and then, finding good used or replacement parts, can be a issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts