VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2001 GL, real fun car that I am sure to enjoy for a long time. The passenger seat does not stay in place, it slides back and forth, I believe the mechanism that is operated by the lever on the upper side of the back of the seat enabling the seat to slide forward when someone wishes to gain access to the back seat. The part that is controlled by the lever by the left leg on the front seems to work fine. I found a spring on the floor under the seat that appears to have come off, I know how to remove the seat but am unsure what I need to look for in order to either repair of defeat the sliding. The seat slides forward when I apply the brakes or up shift and slides back when I accellerate etc. On a positive note it seems to stay put when someone is sitting in the seat. Anyone have an exploded view drawing or a good photo of the part I need to look for? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the seat out, still am unsure of what is broken. I will pull the seat out again and look harder next cool morning when I have the time. Oddly enough, when someone is sitting in the seat it does not slide back and forth. I found a spring that is about an inch long with hooks on each end under the seat so I believe that has to be a part of the problem.
Thanks for the reply. I just bought the Beetle used, I used to have air cooled Bugs and was real good at working on them, probably rebuilt a dozen or so in the past, the New Beetle is a different animal but seems to be just as fun.

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
I stupidly slid my driver seat all the way back, to reach something in the backseat. It then just slid front to back, like an amusement park ride. Not amusing to me! The adjustment and the up and down, were locked up tight.

I had my VW shop jimmy it into place, so I could reach the pedals. I drove it like that, unable to adjust it front to back or up and down. It was stuck up high, and I hated that.

One day, I forgot about it, and hit the latch, for access to the rear seat. Oh no, I thought. Put it back down, and crossed my fingers. I lifted the seat adjustment, and moved up a little - and it locked! Woohoo! I waited until the next day, not wanting to push my luck, to try the height adjustment pump handle. It worked! It's now set, and I'm leaving it alone! :eek:

Of course, after that fixes itself, the mirror adjustment knob fell off, so the side view is aimed high (from when the seat was higher). It's never ending!

Maybe yours will put itself back on track. I hope so!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts