NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone changed their own plug wires? My husband is afraid to try because it looks like he has to take alot of stuff apart. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. We really hate to take it to the dealership. Also, while changing the fuel filter, the plastic things that attach the fuel line to the filter are rotten and now he can't get the old one back on nor the new one. Anyone know what part that is, and if it can be found somewhere other than the dealership. The car is dead in the garage right now....

Thanks, Jen

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but the Haynes Manual has all the instructions for doing both. I do know that for the fuel filter there is a skid gaurd that has to come off the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the haynes manual has basic instructions, but the problem is getting the plenum, or whatever its called, off and out of the way. Maybe we don't have the proper tools, the allen wrench does not fit. And for the fuel filter, the plastic connector is broken. Working on this car is always such a pain. It is very cramped! Jen

·
Turbo Driver
12 Posts
If it's like the Turbo S, you need a #20 Torx head. There are 4 Torx screws. Just be sure to get the cover right side up when you replace it. Otherwise you'll be cussing until you do!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes we have metric tools...Is there a special tool you can use to remove the boots without taking the manifold off? If so, where can I get one?

Thanks

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
jent said:
the haynes manual has basic instructions, but the problem is getting the plenum, or whatever its called, off and out of the way. Maybe we don't have the proper tools, the allen wrench does not fit. And for the fuel filter, the plastic connector is broken. Working on this car is always such a pain. It is very cramped! Jen
Whoa whoa whoa... NOTHING has to come apart to change spark plugs or spark plug wires. Just take the plastic engine cover off (remove dipstick, pull up front edge until it pops off, then pull towards you... ). There is a special tool to wedge under the edge of the metal spark plug boot but I use a cotter pin puller. Local auto parts store may have something similar or just make something. All you need is a long shaft (like a screwdriver) with a 90 degree bend at the end. If you're replacing the wires anyway, just yank 'em off -since you won't be worried about messing them up. If you're also changing spark plugs, I use an 18" 3/8" extension bar and a 5/8" spark plug socket. The head is threaded at an angle - and that angle allows everything to be accessed with the extension bar - the plenum does NOT have to be removed. I've done 2 spark plug changes on the car so far - takes like 15 minutes total. I use the OEM NGK plugs which are about $4 each special order from Advance Auto Parts (they can have them instore the next day).

On the fuel filter, I'm not sure how/why the plastic things would have broken... you just squeeze them with your hand and pull the filter off. Sounds like a little too much "persuasion" was used. You'll probably have to go to a dealership and have them bring up a diagram of that section to be able to order the right part(s) you need to replace it. I've also done this myself... the only tools it requires is a philips head screwdriver to remove the clamp on the filter... removing the clips is done by hand.

Good luck with it!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
wldwsel said:
If it's like the Turbo S, you need a #20 Torx head. There are 4 Torx screws. Just be sure to get the cover right side up when you replace it. Otherwise you'll be cussing until you do!
It sounds like you're referring to the under engine cover.... the fuel filter is back by the rear passenger wheel. And the spark plugs are removed from the top of the engine....

You do not need a Torx anything for the 2 jobs you're trying to perform (plug wires and fuel filter).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks!

Porkchop,

Thanks for the specifics, we are going to give it shot! Now for the blasted fuel filter....

Thanks again, Jen

1 - 9 of 9 Posts