NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
flyboy
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 08 new beetle convertible with 27K miles on it.

So far I love the car, but when I was on the i-net researching "common problems with new beetles", I became real concerned about what may be ahead. Seems that there are major problems with new beetles, especially in yrs around 2001 to 2006. The problems seem to be with transmissions, electric window regulators, and electric power related items.

I am not seeing too many problems after about 07. (wishful thinking?)

During year 2008 had VW resolved any of the issues of window regulators as they previously had cheap plastic parts?

Also did they improve on the automatic transmission problems in 08?

I am wondering if there are credible internet sources, or info within this chat group, that list common new beetle problems on a year by year basis.

I bought the car used, and it is in preemo shape, well taken care of. It has a good carfax history, and it has a VW certified preowned warantee.

I see where it already has had the driver door electric window regulator replaced. I have seen where other new beetle owners have had all 4 of the window regulators replaced at about 800 bucks a pop!!

What am I in for, and should I be concerned?

Worried.................

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah, there are alot of articles written about the unreliability of the NB. I can't think of any time I didn't see the NB on some body's "worst of" car list. I have had my '99 for almost two years. I have electrical problems currently. Of course my car is much older than yours. I don't feel as badly about the problems as probably owners of newer cars. I know that If I had spent some big $$ for a newer hotter version and I ended up with mega problems I would not be happy. The article you may be referring to I read on-line last week. It was about the 5 or 10 worst used cars to buy. The 2008 NB was listed as the worst in the small car category. Respondents who owned the 2008 cited climate control and power equipment problems. Of course we NB owners who love the little cars don't like to hear this stuff or accept that VWOA cut alot of corners with the NB. And it shows. I have talked to someone who used to work for VW and he confirmed this. This doesn't mean your car or every car will have these problems. It means that enough NB buyers have had the same problems so that the NB keeps getting onto the "worst cars" list over and over. Hopefully you will be lucky. Enjoy your NB. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ironic that I came on to post today about the problems I've been having. I have an '08 vert too bought previously owned with about 7500 miles on it. I bought it in '09. Right now I have about 36,000 miles on it and so far the window regulator has gone out, battery has been replaced, radio has had issues, glove box latch has broken and currently it's in the shop with AC issues. It's currently under warranty till June of next year or 50,000 miles. I ♥ my car and it's not even my daily driver. And I've owned other vehicles and 36,000 seems very low miles to have had all these issues. I'm looking into purchasing the extended warranty when mine expires because to fix just the AC issue the service tech said it would have been about $2,000 out of pocket.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Knock on wood....

I've got an '07 NBC and the only thing it has been in the shop for are two recalls and a couple oil changes. Of course it only has 23K miles on it and I only drive it from April 1st until last week in October and only when it does not rain.

I suppose it all depends on how one treats their automobiles. I seem to be having an issue lately though with the darn "pinch-feature" on the left window. I roll all the windows up and nine times out of ten, the darn left window goes back down. The warranty on the car runs out this September 15th, so I best locate more glitches so I can get them fixed free under the remaining warranty. But as I said, the car has been glitch free, 'cept for the left window pinch thingy.

Jerry

·
I Love Hippos.
305 Posts
Nubz is a 2008 Automagic that we've owned since new. 70k miles later and we've experienced no problems except self-inflicted ones:
  1. Tire Pressure Sensor light that won't go away because of aftermarket wheels.
  2. Airbag light that won't go away because I accidentally tried to start the car while the instrument cluster was removed.
I also went ahead and got the transmission fluid flushed and replaced at 50k miles, contrary to all other official VW literature.

Nubz is a daily commuter and has experienced one Track Day (see signature), so Nubz is by no-means a weekend car. I don't understand how some owners here are excited when they put 2k miles a year on their Beetle!? That's a garage queen... and your Beetle is bored out of its mind!

Just make sure you do the scheduled maintenance and the transmission flush at 50k, and your Beetle will be fine.

.addicted2sp33d (Judee's Chauffeur)

·
Registered
64 Posts
If anyone babies their NB it's me :) I'm one of those people that will make a passenger walk from the edges of a parking lot to avoid dings!

Jerry, when I picked up my car this weekend the service guy was telling me that he sees more verts in with window issues from the people that don't drop the top on a regular basis. He said basically not using it caused the dirt, dust, etc., to build up causing problems. Mine went out more toward the beginning of my ownership so I have no idea how much the top was dropped in the first 7500 miles.

Judee, lol at term garage queen!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Judee.....

My 2007 NBC is a garage queen as I reside in North East Wisconsin and I refuse to drive "Henry" in the winter. I do a fair share of driving when Spring arrives, but then again, in the warm months...if the rain is falling outside, I'll take my truck. Only have 23k on him. He goes into hibernation from November 1st until April 1st.

Jerry

·
Registered
250 Posts
BuffBugLover....the top open my 2007 NBC goes down whenever the temp reaches 53 degrees. My wife isn't real crazy about this, but I tell her to turn on the heated seats and crank up the heater if you are cold.

Not too often I leave the garage with the top up. I do clean those window tracks on a pretty regular basis. Warranty runs out September 15 of this year, so I best get the bug in real soon for the last "freebie."

Jerry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts