NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dont even know where to begin...
One day my A/C was working just fine, now the air blows but not cold..

So this is the deal...

When I turn on my A/C my fans at the radiator dont turn on like before, also my A/C Clutch doesn't click off and on like before... I had this happen once before and after it sat over night it worked fine until now..

I know I have a small coolant leak somewhere and have been having to refill the tank with water if thats all i have or coolant when i have it on hand every few days, and after a long highway drive and I pull into the garage I can smell coolant but theres nothing dripping, but I do keep it full..

Right now my coolant is full just topped it off with coolant, not water.

Now weird part.. When I'm sitting in a drive-thru or leave it running and sitting for a few minutes the fans kick on and the air starts blowing cold, but the minute that I start driving the fans turn off and dont turn back on and no more cold air.. I live in Phoenix and granted that it is 85 degrees for the high when I'm on the freeway it is nice to have cool A/C vs. having the windows down..

My first thoughts are either a relay of some sort or the thermostat is sticking open and that is keeping the coolant too cool and the fans are not kicking on for any reason.. Any thoughts or help?

·
Registered
762 Posts
First check the fuse block on top of the battery, the first 30 blade fuse, remove it and check for hot spots on it. This is common.

You could have a wiring issue, poor ground, bad fan control module... no way to know via a message board.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
A/c

Some folks don't do proper Maintenance on their battery and it starts corroting real bad that the fuse block on top of the battery looses contenuity or plain corrosion on the fuses from underneath. I would first take care of the Coolant leak before disaster strikes and than tackle the A/C problem. If you have been putting regular tap water, that is not a good thing. Only distilled water mixed 1/2 with VW special G12 coolant. A coolant system not properly mixed also makes the car run either hotter or colder than normal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some folks don't do proper Maintenance on their battery and it starts corroting real bad that the fuse block on top of the battery looses contenuity or plain corrosion on the fuses from underneath. I would first take care of the Coolant leak before disaster strikes and than tackle the A/C problem. If you have been putting regular tap water, that is not a good thing. Only distilled water mixed 1/2 with VW special G12 coolant. A coolant system not properly mixed also makes the car run either hotter or colder than normal.
I flushed the coolant and refilled with proper coolant and water mix ratio. I checked all the fuse block linked to the battery and had a blown fuse there. All the 30A fuses under there were the orginal fuses I ran over to AutoZone and got a set of new ones and replaced them all. Fixed the problem.. All set now on that one, on to the next one..

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I flushed the coolant and refilled with proper coolant and water mix ratio. I checked all the fuse block linked to the battery and had a blown fuse there. All the 30A fuses under there were the orginal fuses I ran over to AutoZone and got a set of new ones and replaced them all. Fixed the problem.. All set now on that one, on to the next one..
How about the 50Amp wire fuses? How did they look? Not the plug in type but the wire fuses going to the cables?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts