NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to make this short. Everyone says you need 2 keys to program a key fob, and I understand why. If you only have 1 key, however, you're not screwed. Here is how to program your key fob
with only 1 key.

Materials:
1 key
1 torx t20 screwdriver
1 flat screwdriver

1 Open driver door and remove the rubber plug covering the screw for the lock cylinder.
2 Loosen but DO NOT remove this screw. If you remove it you will have to take the door apart.
3 Remove the lock cylinder from the door.
4 Insert key into the ignition and turn to the on position
5 insert the screwdriver into the lock actuator where the lock cylinder connects, turn and hold for about 10 seconds, the car should honk the horn once to indicate it is in pairing mode.
6 press a button on the key fob, the car should honk to confirm that it has paired with the key fob.
7 Turn the key in the ignition to the off position, this will exit pairing mode and complete the pairing process.
8 reinstall the lock cylinder, tighten the screw for the retainer, and replace the plug,

I have not tested this process, but I will asap. If there is any reason why this is unsafe or won't work please let me know.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
VAG-COM also programs a single key.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Programming fob with only one key

I'll try to make this short. Everyone says you need 2 keys to program a key fob, and I understand why. If you only have 1 key, however, you're not screwed. Here is how to program your key fob
with only 1 key.

Materials:
1 key
1 torx t20 screwdriver
1 flat screwdriver

1 Open driver door and remove the rubber plug covering the screw for the lock cylinder.
2 Loosen but DO NOT remove this screw. If you remove it you will have to take the door apart.
5 insert the screwdriver into the lock actuator where the lock cylinder connects, turn and hold for about 10 seconds, the car should honk the horn once to indicate it is in pairing mode.
6 press a button on the key fob, the car should honk to confirm that it has paired with the key fob.
7 Turn the key in the ignition to the off position, this will exit pairing mode and complete the pairing process.
8 reinstall the lock cylinder, tighten the screw for the retainer, and replace the plug,

I have not tested this process, but I will asap. If there is any reason why this is unsafe or won't work please let me know.
this dose work just did it worked out just like you said had no problems at all thanks for the post

·
Registered
10 Posts
this dose work just did it worked out just like you said had no problems at all thanks for the post
Hello! i've tried this with my 2000 VW beetle amd i've had no luck . My lock cylinder doesn't turn but the actuator does. When the actuator is turned, my windows roll up and down and I hear no honk. any suggestions/comments?

·
Registered
10 Posts
with only 1 key.

Materials:
1 key
1 torx t20 screwdriver
1 flat screwdriver

Hello! i've tried this with my 2000 VW beetle amd i've had no luck . My lock cylinder doesn't turn but the actuator does. When the actuator is turned, my windows roll up and down and I hear no honk. any suggestions/comments?

·
Registered
14,080 Posts
AsheleH97, what exactly is your situation? What are you trying to program:

a. key fob?
b. new key to work with the immobilizer?

What was/is your problem to begin with?

This site; can explain things about VW keys, how they work and how the immobilizer/key fob works:

Sidewinderkey.com

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
:confused:

On a 2001 ours did not 'beep' at all. But the process does in fact work.

Pulled the core.
Had the wife sit in the drivers seat with the key to the 'run/on'.
I'm outside the car with the door shut, and I used a screw driver to turn and hold the "lock" in the lock position for 10 seconds.

I hit the FOB to 'lock' and held it there for a second or two.

Wife then turned the car 'off' and I tried the FOB. Worked a treat!

Did the same process for the 2nd fob. Both work. I'm still having to order the software to mate the new keys to the immo, but it's nice to have working remotes.

S-

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
If you're ordering the stuff for the immobilizer, you'll also need VAG-COM. Which will program the key fobs for you, even if you only have one. Works like a charm.

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
If you're ordering the stuff for the immobilizer, you'll also need VAG-COM. Which will program the key fobs for you, even if you only have one. Works like a charm.
Still saving up the pennies for it. Times are rough and money is tight. It's enough we have the Beetle running great! As my bronco is having severe issues.

S-

·
Registered
2001 Beetle TDI 5 spd
30 Posts
:confused:

On a 2001 ours did not 'beep' at all. But the process does in fact work.

Pulled the core.
Had the wife sit in the drivers seat with the key to the 'run/on'.
I'm outside the car with the door shut, and I used a screw driver to turn and hold the "lock" in the lock position for 10 seconds.

I hit the FOB to 'lock' and held it there for a second or two.

Wife then turned the car 'off' and I tried the FOB. Worked a treat!

Did the same process for the 2nd fob. Both work. I'm still having to order the software to mate the new keys to the immo, but it's nice to have working remotes.

S-
Old thread but I just followed these directions but with a new cut key and Ebay fob and was successful. Other websites I visited either didn't say to hold the position for 10 seconds, OR said to turn the key to the left instead of right (lock).

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts