NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sticker on my 2006 Beetle TDI says to put 35 lbs on the front tires and 39 on the rear. Am I reading this right? (I have the 205-55-16 tires. Sound odd to put so much more pressure on the back of the car, since the front, with the heavy TDI engine holds more weight. I inflated the tires to these level and the back rides like a rock. Full disclosure: I just bought this car and it came with rear tires that were scalloped/cupped on the inside thread. I wonder if overinflation causes them to bounce around and cup.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Where did you read that from?

On my 1998 TDI, with 205/55/R16 tires the proper inflation levels according to the sticker on the fuel cap are 29/29 for highway driving if I recall correctly.

Remember it is cold tire pressure, so measure before driving.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting. I always thought the pressure was supposed to be slightly higher in front, like 32 in front and 30 in the rear...something like that, but I can't remember why.

·
Registered
14 Posts
correct but wrong!

What you read was for a full load and having extra weight in the back makes sense. Half load is 28/28.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked it again yesterday. In my 2006 TDI GLS the tire pressure sticker is on the driver's side door jamb. It clearly says 34 front and 39 rear. There is no distinction for full vs half load. I looked for another sticker and didn't find it. Not inside the fuel door, not under the hood, or in the passenger side.

The pressure listed on the door is odd. Having the rear be 5 lb higher than the front, when all the weight is in the front makes little sense to me. And 39 lbs for rear tires in such a small car seems like a lot.

I just bought this car and I don't know that much about its history, but the rear tires it came with had plenty of thread, but were cupped/scalloped in the inside edge, which can be a sign of the rear bouncing around. I would imagine that 39 lbs on the back tires in a relatively light rear end would result in a harsh, bouncy ride.

Let's take a survey. What is the perfect combination of front/rear tire pressure for your TDI beetle?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts