NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals...
First and foremost, I am overjoyed to be a New Beetle owner, and I'm proud to be an official member of this forum! So here is my situation...

I have a 2002 New Beetle Turbo S with about 112,000 miles on it. My uncle had it first for about 5 years and took excellent care of it, then my mom bought it from him and took somewhat mediocre care of it (she didn't mistreat it, but didn't use premium gas, didn't check fluids as often, etc.) for about 3 years until she blew a headgasket. Then after I spent $1600 of my dinero to order another head and have a machinist rebuild and refurbish the engine, she turned around unexpectedly and bought a new car without telling me. :mad:

Lol I was furious, and she didn't want to sell it, so I couldn't get my money back to put towards MY CAR! (I know...selfish right?) As fate would have it, 2 years later I ended up inheriting this beautiful and superb car...for free ;) :D

So this is the scenario: I plan on fixing my baby up one step at a time as the money comes in, and if everything goes at least a little smoothly, I should be able to get her on the road by the end of December or maybe early Jan.These are the essential things that need fixing/ replacement:

1) 6 Speed Manual Transmission- The last mechanic screwed up my transmission somehow so I will need a new one...
A)What is the average cost of purchasing a new 6 speed manual transmission?
B)What is the average cost to have it installed?
C)Does it matter what brand i buy? And if so, what are the most reliable ones for low cost?

2)Tires- Everything is Stock. The car hasn't been driven in about 3 years, and I will need new tires since they weren't changed the few years before that. The Turbo S edition comes stock with 17" wheels, but I'm thinking of uprgrading these to 18"s or at least increasing tire size for a meaner look..
A)Is this detrimental in itself to the handling? If an increase is ok, do I even need to increase wheel size, or should I just increase tire size?

BAnd with respect to reading tire markings, I am very new and have not viewed my own tires yet. What are the best affordable tire dimensions for a great ride and mean look on this vehicle? Any particular brands that you guys are fond of?

3) Need a new battery...nuff said.

4)Need a newly purchased Water Pump to be installed

5) Need new breaks

6) Need to filter out and refill all fluids

7)Interior/Exterior cleaning- Simple stuff...wash and dry, vaccum...maybe buy another front fascia covering...

That's about it so far from my personal diagnostics... a few other things may come up but most likely not. Much work is needed on the car, but nothing too fancy and it will be worth it! I know this post was kinda long, but I would really appreciate any/all advice and suggestions!

-GOT BEETLE JUICE?

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
I am glad you are bringing this Turbo S back to life. It pains me to hear of how it was taken care of. :(

I hope you can get your car back on the road soon. The New Beetle Turbo S is so much fun, it should be illegal! :D

Welcome to the Org! :wave2:

Where in CA are you?

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you dnyed (nice wording on the name btw). Yeah it's a shame the way this beauty has been treated the past 5 years (for about 3 of those years, the car hasn't even moved an inch!! :() When she offered it to me the first time, I promptly turned her down lol. Like a fool i thought, "I don't want to drive a beetle...eff that..."

But then after some thinking and good research, i realized that I was staring a diamond in the face, dude. I had...an epiphany lol. The first thing I did was read the owner's manual from cover to cover, and when I asked if she used premium gas (my first question of my laid back interrogation lol), her answer was a blank, half scared look and the short, quiet answer, "...Nooo..." Lol

But that's history.

This baby is mine now...and I will take care of her like I begot her myself, especially since this is my first car! :cool::D I can't wait until she is fully restored, thoroughly flushed and filled with fresh fluids. She's all i've been thinking about since I got her a week ago, besides my job and my girlfriend hahahaha :banana:.

Oh Yeah! I just remembered I will probably need to change the timing belt as well...since it has not been changed at all I think.

-Got Beetle Juice?

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and to answer your question, I'm in the San Pablo/Richmond/ El Cerrito area.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Welcome aboard.
You are looking at around 2 grand for the trans, that's going with a used transmission. That "should" cover the cost of labor as well.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Definitely do the belt too. And all the bolts, tensioner, roller, etc. I would just get a whole kit. ECS Tuning has a good kit that is pretty complete, including the G12 coolant you need for the car.

What exactly is going on with your transmission?

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

Sounds like quite a project to go with - glad to hear you're devoted to it. You're getting some great information above and will continue to get great bits here! Welcome!!!!

·
Proud Turbo S Owner!
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome aboard.
You are looking at around 2 grand for the trans, that's going with a used transmission. That "should" cover the cost of labor as well.
Dude, I was in the middle of replying and asking about the reliability of used transmissions, the possible cost of new trannys, etc., when my coworker walked by (who works on cars all the time). I asked for his opinion on this as well and he told me to make sure that it was the transmission that needed replacing and not just the clutch. Apparently, it's kinda hard to ruin the whole manual transmission unless it's cracked because of how they work... or unless it's an automatic. As it turns out, all i need is a new clutch!!! :banana: :bowdown: :guitar:

That was a Godsend, truly, and I will save so much time and money over the alternative! *SIGH* Ok folks...so it looks like I just need a new or refurbished clutch. 2004NBTURBOS, I still want to say thanks a lot for your advice on that. I will definitely keep it in mind for the future.

@Smileybug: Thanks a lot, I will definately check that out and get everything replaced. Do you know the name of the specific kit that you're referring to?

It turns out the the transmission is fine, the mechanic just took the clutch itself, for whatever reason (this all happened a year ago and not my car so I had no idea that he even took it until now), and mom didn't even get the clutch back when she cut him loose! She could've told me and I would've gone to get it myself :king2: I would've also questioned the credibility of the clutch even having a problem...he was wishy-washy and couldn't be trusted. But mothers thinks they knows best...and sometimes pay for it (or we do when they give us the cars with missing parts lol). So I just need a clutch... shoot...I can have another clutch ready in no time, since they aren't as expensive!

·
Super Moderator
14,785 Posts
New clutch - soon you'll be enjoying that super fun 6-speed! I've owned two Turbo S's. I miss the red one especially.

Have fun!!!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts