NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the new owner of '01 beetle and have been performing routine maintenance to get the electrical system back in shape -
door panel switches, module assemblies, etc.

I am still having a problem with the lower door warning or puddle lights not working on either side.

Since neither the driver nor passenger sides are working, I believe it to common to both and possibly a sensor malfunction. I do have most of the cabin electronics back in shape but could use some helping determining a starting point for troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Cannot say for sure what the problem is, however, research the Door Latches, they are problems and at least on the convertibles the puddle lamps or lights in the rear of the door are controlled by the door latch.

The door latches have problems with the solder joints and micro switches inside failing often.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have cleaned the door latch hopping to clear out some dirt around the micro switch, but it did not fix my problem. The light at the rear view mirror works so that tells me that interior 12 volt is active and fuse number 14 is good. I am back to the problem is the lock system micro switch is bad or broken wire on it. Now do I take the lock assemble out, that's one thing that I have not done before.
Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know have the micro switch in my hand, without cutting the wires which go into the solid harness which I have not taken apart and not sure if I should. Has anyone done this before and if so, have you got any suggestions.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Search the VW Vortex forums and or just use Google.

The problem is sometimes bad solder joints, sometimes bad micro switches, sometimes both. Also keep in mind that the wiring in the door jam between the cabin and door can actually break as well, but this is less of a problem than the door latches.

Do not cut any wires in the harness at this point. Sort out what the actual problem is and then buy new door latches if needed.

I am on the 2nd replacement Drivers Door Latch and the 1st replacement Passenger Side Door Latch on my 2003!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts