·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this possible? And where are the best places to bolt the chains too? Ty

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
To pull the motor on a beetle you don’t need to touch the subframe. Take the front of the car off. Bumper, radiator , condenser, fenders. Like my avatar picture. Then there are two hooks at opposite ends of the engine, hook an engine puller/cherrypicker to those lift points. Lift the engine about an inch and then take both motor mounts the engine side and the transmission side loose. The dog bone mount should be removed before the engine puller is slid into place.

At this point you can lower the engine and transmission as a unit down onto the legs of the puller and slide everything right out the front of the car. It is surprisingly easy. Of course before attaching the puller you will need to remove all the wires, vacuum lines, hoses and disconnect the inner axles.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet . I'm planning on using a complete subframe and motor and trans. From my Audi TT for it. That's why I was going to take it all out at once if I could

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
The subframe is held on by 4 bolts. 21mm if I recall, and you would need to loosen/remove the ball joints, outer tie rod ends, two 13mm bolts that hold the exhaust down pipe to the subframe and you will also need to remove the 13mm bolt the connects the steering column to the steering rack. That one is inside the car behind a plastic shield at the base of the steering column. Once you take that loose, lock your steering wheel in place or you will have steering issues.

Once all that is done the subframe with the steering rack attached will drop right down. It’s not so heavy you can’t lift it but a jack would be handy to lower it to the floor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts