VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Gustav
349 Posts
I've not owned one of these units but I did look at them.
My issue is how far away the touch screen is from the driver!
Try it!
Sit in the drivers seat and in a normal driving position reach out and see if you could comfortably/safely touch the area of the dash where the touch screen is going to be located.
I am a tall man with a long reach and I could not do it thats why I did not purchase it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it does seem a bit far.

I guess the only real options are single din head units with screens that slide out or doing a chop mod to fit a double din unit.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
I've seen those on ebay while looking for factory radios. it seems like a good idea, even one I've had in the past but slightly different. I just don't know how it would be using the touch screen. Seems to me you would need a 3' stick to reach it without hugging the steering wheel. Sure couldn't change anything while in motion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know this is a little old but just to fair warn everybody those units are JUNK!!! I have one, came with my car brand new in package when I bought it. I installed it rite away, first off it looks nice and very factory, worked great except the gps was in Chinese so it was useless and there is always a constant beep coming from the speakers that can only be herd at very low volume. But other then that it worked great for about 3 weeks, then the screen started turning off when ever it felt like, forcing me to turn it off then back on. Then eventually forcing me to press the reset button till it came back on. So as annoying as that is I delt with it till about a week ago when the sound just quit working all together! I have now since been putting a full aftermarket stereo in.
So buyer beware!! Specially considering these are usually $500+ units, but still ebay garbage!
I am now going to try and rig up a tablet where the screen is on the top of the dash for built it gps so it looks factory and still able to fold down into its spot :)
Probably the only good thing these unit can be bought for, lol.

This is one of the only shots I have of it installed in the car before I ripped it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought this radio too. Never got it to work correctly. Tried for two weeks and even took it to a professional installer. No luck. Chineses junk. I wasted $500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts