NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 2012 New Beetle and the push button start is acting up. At first I thought it might be the battery in the key fob but then ruled that out when I can lock the car from far away. So now I think it might be the push button itself. I would like to try to repair on my own if possible. Anyone have any experience with this?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
So, can you explain the problem in detail? For example, is the starter motor turning/spinning with the depression of the button or is it turning over/spinning but the car won't start?

A good start of your troubleshooting process; would be to do a full scan for trouble codes, with a vw specific, scan tool, like vcds by ross tech. If you plan on doing your own repaIrs and maintain your own vw, a investment in a vw compatible scan tool is pretty much a requirement.

·
Super Moderator
14,710 Posts
My 2013 TDI has the push button start. I can totally see that being a problem. In my case, I need to quick push, make sure the glow plug light goes out, then start engine.

I can see it giving out someday, for sure. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The motor starts it's just when I push the button, nothing happens until I press & wiggle it around, sometimes a lot!

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Well, it sounds like the switch; might be the problem, many switches/internal contacts, can get dirty over time, prolonged use. If you want to mess with it yourself; you might remove it and clean it with some contact cleaner, see if that helps with the actuation problem.

QD® Contact Cleaner, 11 Wt Oz - 02130 - CRC Industries (available at auto parts stores, home improvement and stores like Walmart):

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&hs=8Nh&ei=RMwuXf_uLMS0tAby6bmYCw&q=QD®+Contact+Cleaner,+11+Wt+Oz+-+02130+-+CRC+Industries&oq=QD®+Contact+Cleaner,+11+Wt+Oz+-+02130+-+CRC+Industries&gs_l=psy-ab.3..33i299l2.11215.11215..12109...0.0..0.175.175.0j1......0....2j1..gws-wiz.......0i71.NwJHbJJT8QQ

Looking on VW parts site; the switch, seems pretty expensive:

Ignition Switch

Part Number: 5C5959839B3Q7

MSRP$155.00

https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2012_Beetle-Base-Hatchback-25L-5-cylinder-AT/Ignition-Switch/64425758/5C5959839B3Q7.html

Keep in mind, that many times; VW parts, can have defects from the factory and after seeing allot of failures, VW will redesign the part and attempt, to address the original design issue. VW has had a history of issues with many parts; they can issue recalls or revise the parts, to address these problems (e.g. new beetle: coil packs, brake switches, etc.). This isn't always the case and certain parts; can just wear out and have to be replaced (something like a ignition start button; sees, heavy use over time and eventually will fail). Think about how many times, the button has been depressed in day to day use; in almost 7 years time!

Another thing to check, is contact your local VW dealers service dept.; tell them about your problem and see if there were any recalls or sometimes, they have a "silent recall" on a issue and will fix it for free or repair it, under a customer satisfaction clause. If not, you could contact VW Customer Care and see if they will help with the repair costs; it never hurts to ask.

Volkswagen Customer CARE

1-800-822-8987

8 a.m. to 9 p.m. EST
Monday – Friday

or chat online:

https://www.vw.com/contact.m/_tel_+18004284034/_tel_+18004284034/_tel_+18004116688/_tel_+18008228987.m/

If you do not get any help from vw or the vw dealer; then you need to decide if you want to tackle the repairs yourself. You could start troubleshooting the problem; by scanning the car with a vw scan tool for any related trouble codes; attempt the cleaning of the switch with the contact cleaner, see if that improves anything and then, if you determine, the switch is the cause of your problems, replace it yourself.

Let us know, what VW Customer Car and the VW dealer say; then, we can go from there. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts