NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I am a newbie when it comes to the New Beetle. I have had mine all of a month now. I have a question about putting fuel in the Beetle. Before you all get started I do know how to do this....LOL....

My question: What's the deal with the fuel tank cut off for the amount of gas. I filled my tank up tonight. It stopped at 26.00bucks however, I ended up putting 38.00 in it. Why does it do that? Is there something that I am missing when it comes to this topic. I guess another question that I have is do they all do that? What is different the NB fuel tank that is different from other types of cars?

I know that cars will do this with air in the tank. My other car that I drive is a Miata. It would do this however, it would not cut off and then hold 10 more bucks of fuel.

I know that fuel nozzles are made to cut off for safety reasons.

I come to find out that a quick stop at the gas station to fill up is no longer when filling up the NB.

Just wondering if anyone could give me some input. Just so I know what's happening so I don't drive my boyfriend crazy asking him about this like I have done every time I have filled up.

Thanks Paula

·
crank it up, suckers!
5,596 Posts
Though I myself haven't had to deal with this very often, I know that other people have. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Try getting in touch with Callisto9. I know she has had to deal with the same situation.

Best of luck! And welcome aboard!

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
The problem is that the filler neck is narrow. If the fuel flow is high enough, it will backup in the filler neck causing the automatic shut off of the pump. After the first few gallons, reduce the flow to the lowest setting. You should get more gallons into the tank the first try.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
You can also help manage it by changing the angle of the fuel nozzle. Sometimes I bring it forward, sometimes I swing it backwards... Just move it around till you find a sweet spot; and then try to remember that sweet spot.

·
Bourgeoisie
309 Posts
Any pump that has a protective sleeve pretty much fits perfectly. Living in California, I've never had it cut off halfway through a fill unless it was an old pump yet to be safety-regulated.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Beetlemania said:
Though I myself haven't had to deal with this very often, I know that other people have. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Try getting in touch with Callisto9. I know she has had to deal with the same situation.

Best of luck! And welcome aboard!
i do indeed (STILL!) have this problem. unfortunately, i don't have a good solution. i've tried different angles, only sticking the nozzle in part way, doing jumping jacks...nothing works.

mine usually clicks off every 1.5 - 2 gallons. it's really annoying. it does it every time (except once...no idea on that one), every station. i don't really think there is a solution unfortunately. i've asked and asked and asked...and nothing. i've just been dealing with it. i just bought my car in feb (used 2001) and this is gonna SUCK in the winter.

good luck.

·
Car has another home
111 Posts
When I fill up its never clicked off early, When it cuts off I can only get maybe a gallon or two in the tank after that.
When I fill I have it on the highest flow setting.

Thats weird...hope you figure it out!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
mine clicks off after the first 1-3 gallons i put into the car. there's no rhyme or reason to it. it clicks off about 6-7 times total. usually.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Slug said:
Thats wild! It would drive me insane!!
it does, but what can do you? i have bigger fish to fry with my car right now. :( since i have a used car with 88K miles on it, and i have 3.5 years of payments to go, this is going to have to be one of those "live with it" kinda things.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Weird. While we can't pump our own gas here in Oregon, I like to think I keep a pretty close eye on the attendants while they do... and I can't say I've seen any of them fail to get a full tank in on the first shot. They do the usual final two or three clicks to top it off... but they're never more than a fraction of a gallon.

Is this a diesel, Paula? There's something about the TDI and making sure you breathe something or other (ventectomy??) either before or during your fuel fill... isn't there?

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
On a TDI, to get the max fuel in the tank, you have to vent out the trapped air in the tank. There is a little lever on the side of the fuel neck that needs to be pressed while filling the tank. Or, just remove the guts of the valve, and not worry about it again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the posts everyone.

My Black Bugger is just a regular old gas...I couldn't find a TDI when I got this one.

I am glad to see that its just not me that is having this same problem. This really isn't a problem however, it is going to suck when it gets cold here in the South. Since I have just made the first payment on it I have 35 more to go with this issue.

I have tried moving the nozzle around and nothing really seems to work or help it. And what sucks more is when the gas jumps back out on you. I hate that.

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
ditto to what noR said earlier. it took me only like 3 fill-ups to find my sweet spot.

if you listen right before it clicks off you can hear the tube accidentally filling up and causing the pump to shut off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
fuel hose

Callisto-it sounds like you may need to have your fuel hose replaced or at least investigated by the dealership. I have an '06 and mine was sitting on the lot for a week with the same problem. They thought it needed a new hose, but actually, they realized that it still had a "cap" on it, thus, preventing the gas to move through...

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
TonyJ said:
Callisto-it sounds like you may need to have your fuel hose replaced or at least investigated by the dealership. I have an '06 and mine was sitting on the lot for a week with the same problem. They thought it needed a new hose, but actually, they realized that it still had a "cap" on it, thus, preventing the gas to move through...
hmmmm. weird that this is a common problem. is fuel hose replacement expensive? my car is not on warranty.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
MOST DEFFINATELY shouldn't be spitting back at you. I think thunderbug might be on to something there. If it's a brand new bug, or certified used, take it in and have them check the hose for kinks.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Callisto, Probably sorta involved. AT the very least they have to remove the wheel liner, they very well may have to remove the whole bumper clip, that'd get pricey. It's not hard, just time consuming on their part.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
noR said:
MOST DEFFINATELY shouldn't be spitting back at you. I think thunderbug might be on to something there. If it's a brand new bug, or certified used, take it in and have them check the hose for kinks.
mine spits back at me. due to cost, i think i am going to live with this one, although it's going to suck in the winter!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts