NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something I'm concerned about, which I just found out about, is that I have a Monsoon radio apparently and I've read that it can disable your car if removed unless you do something to prevent it first. I've also read that you can prevent this from happening if you lock the driver side door with the actual key and then unlock it. Is that true? If not, what is?

I copied this from another thread, it didn't get an answer.

My 03 doesn't use keys on the doors, no keyholes available. Will locking and unlocking with the remote accomplish this? My car, 03 NB, Monsoon cassette, Turbo, convertible.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,009 Posts
Shouldn't disable the car. The biggest issue is hooking things up properly so that you can have an OBDII reader connect to the car. But I believe in '03 that wasn't much of an issue anymore. Also another big thing would be to make sure you get the proper wiring harness so that your monsoon amp turns off when the car shuts off. I've seen many occasions where someone installs an aftermarket head unit in a monsoon car and then gets battery drain because the amp never shuts off.

I put an aftermarket unit in my '03 GTI and never had any problems. I got my stuff through Crutchfield and they are really good about making sure you have the right harness for your system.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I saw the stuff about wiring in a relay to power down the amp. You're right about Crutchfield, they do provide everything one needs, and throws it all in free. I have an Autel OBD2 reader, I'll hook it up before I pull the radio.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts