VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My 2002 GLS (engine code AVH) needs a new catalytic converter. Who offers a quality catalytic converter? I like the prices on eBay but is the quality there? I am not about to buy one from VW, the cost is outrageous.

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Before replacing the cat; I would make sure, that you actually need to.

Aside from that; from what I hear, Bosal is the oem exhaust manufacturer for Volkswagen. So, I would assume; they would make good replacement exhaust parts for our cars.

Here is the page; for their aftermarket replacement parts.

Bosal Catalog

Amazon; seems to have very good prices; for Brosal products. This is just one brand; I am sure, there are many others out there, that are good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was advised at the last safety inspection the catalytic converter would need to be replaced soon. Now I can smell exhaust while in the car.

I will not be buying from Bosal. The prices are way beyond what I can afford. I was looking for something quality but about 1/4 the price.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of using a used catalytic converter but in Pennsylvania that is illegal.

The prices on eBay are more in my price range. $150-$175.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
If you can smell exhaust in the car, you may have an exhaust leak. Are you throwing any codes for the cat? Have you taken the car to an exhaust shop to get their opinion?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The code is P0420. When I had the car in for its annual safety inspection in June I was told the catalytic converter was going and would need to be replaced soon. So I know this would need to be done. What I need to know it what aftermarket cats are of good quality so I can avoid the VW price.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does your NB have a 2.0 AVH engine? That's what mine has, and I don't know if it has 2 outlets ports on the exhaust manifold or just 1.

Thanks!

Patrick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts