VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New 2004 convertible owner here. First so I don't look stupid is it pronounced VAJCOM or VAGCOM with a hard G. I know how it is spelled. Where is the best place to look for the most useful one? How much are they? I read here that I can also get something that I can use an app on my Android cell phone. Where can find this? Sorry I have been searching here but could use a little guidance

·
Registered
15,844 Posts
I pronounce it with a "hard g"; I assume thing is correct. For VCDS; this should help:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-2012-beetle/91201-vag-com.html

There are other stand alone options; that break down into VW specific or obd II generic.

On the consumer level VW hand held scan tools; there are many different models out there but the most usable, have live data capability and can do programming, activate different parts of the car, etc. Examples of these; would be the VAG 401 and the Foxwell NT500, both available on amazon. Prices, support and usability; are all factored into the price and generally the better brands cost more, have updates and will actually have support. Just keep in mind; most of the cheaper chinese scan tools will have little to non existent support levels for these products. As the old saying goes: "you get what you pay for" and this stands true, for these scan tools.

The ELM 327 or equivalent device; is a generic obd II wireless adapter, that can run on a pc, tablet, or smartphone. The wifi versions; are for the apple/ios devices and bluetooth for the Android devices. There are many programs that can run with these; OBD FUSION, for example can run on either ios/android devices and then there are many programs that can run in windows with the adapters. Some of the higher end obd II dongles; come with higher end software packages and offer more support, than the cheap sub $20 generic ELM 327 adapter you can buy on amazon or ebay.

If you have a smartphone; a obd II adapter is nice, to be able to do a basic scan of your car and use a "dashboard" of sorts, to see all the info about your car. For example the New Beetle, doesn't come with a temp gauge or many other instruments. WIth OBD FUSION and other apps, you can configure what you want to see and see many things about your car, as you are driving. Very usable and cheap; at $30 or so with the app and a generic elm327 adapter.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Start with something like OBDFusion. As mentioned the App and interface is less than $30. Easy to keep in the car and you will always have an OBDII tool at hand.

If the SES/CEL/MIL turns on, OBDFusion WILL be able to read the code(s), Freeze Frame and Live/Realtime data.

Worry about Vagcom/VCDS if you need it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts