NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did all years of New Beetle come with engine covers or not? Every single New Beetle I've seen on this site have engine covers, but mine didn't come with one. Did the previous owner just lose it, or was it a separate option? I don't mind looking at the engine. It looks fine, but the engine covers look great. Thanks!:confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks much. Guess I'll take a spin round the web to find one. Love the painted look. :cool:

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Make sure you get the right one for your engine. There are 3 - one for the 2.0, one for the 1.8t and one for the TDI. If you have a 1.8t, get one that is from 1999 to 2001 as they changed in 2002 or 2003. I know they were different in 2003. By the way, those differences cover your time period. If you had a 2006 or newer, the covers are even more different.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip.

·
~Feel the Sting~
2,441 Posts
Is there a true purpose to having these? It seems like the engine would stay cooler with it off. Mine was missing the screws and just laying there so we took it off.
I think it's there to make it look better? :)

For when you are at shows and such? Only thing I can think of. :D

·
Registered
595 Posts
Make sure you get the right one for your engine. There are 3 - one for the 2.0, one for the 1.8t and one for the TDI. If you have a 1.8t, get one that is from 1999 to 2001 as they changed in 2002 or 2003. I know they were different in 2003. By the way, those differences cover your time period. If you had a 2006 or newer, the covers are even more different.
Not that it matters, but the TDI engine cover changed for 2004.
It helps keep the noise down a little bit too. Not much, but enough to make a bit of difference.
At least on a TDI, it helps hold the dipstick in place. It gets brittle over the years, and has been known to crack due to the diesel engine's vibration without the extra bracing. (It's not a big deal, though -- dipsticks are cheap and apparently not much oil leaks out.)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think originally they were there to protect the engine when an air cooled Beetle veteran threw a suitcase into what he thought was the trunk!:D

·
This chick drives a stick
4,854 Posts
Yeah mostly to control the sound (as I've been told most have insulation on them...mine must have came off), and probably to keep things looking "nicer". To me it was a pain in the :moon: I was having some engine issues for awhile and kept having to take it off. And since we don't have the right tools at my house I would ALWAYS have to go somewhere where someone would have the right tools. So I took it off and sold mine. I plan on having the valve cover painted eventually. :) I don't think it'll hurt anything though. I enjoy the extra (even if little) sound.

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
I think originally they were there to protect the engine when an air cooled Beetle veteran threw a suitcase into what he thought was the trunk!:D
:roflmao:

·
Registered
271 Posts
i think originally they were there to protect the engine when an air cooled beetle veteran threw a suitcase into what he thought was the trunk!:d
winner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts