VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got a used drivers door from the junkyard along with the lock cylinder for the trunk. Would I be able to have different keys (one) for the ignition lock cylinder and the other to work the driver door and trunk?

I would also like to program both key fobs to the car.

It's a '99 so I have no immobilizer.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Yes, that is not a problem. No reason the car couldn't be programmed to both of them. (The car is programmed to up to 4 keys, not the other way around.) But why not use a valet key for the door and trunk lock? The only time you would be using it is when the remote isn't working.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to avoid getting a valet key made. I may just switch out the lock cylinder on my old door to the new. It was just an idea to have two different keys. I guess I just really need the extra fob, as I have a habit of locking my key in there. Thanks for the fast help!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update: I finally got around to switching the doors today. Everything looks the same being that both doors are model year '99, with the difference being that the replacement door has an extra (blue) 10-pin connector. Was just wondering what this was for since my original door only had one black 10-pin connector.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
My car has 3 connectors from the door to the body: black, brown and blue. This is also what the Bentley manual shows. The black connector is shown in the schematics for cars with power windows. The blue connector is for the power mirrors on cars without power windows, however I believe it still should be present for cars with power windows, just with some connections missing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, that blue connector only had two wires. Pins 2,6 if i remember correctly. Everything is working with that connector unhooked so I'm just gonna tuck it somewhere since the body has only the one spot for the black connector. Thanks again!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts