NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've had Daisy for over a year now, but I've kept forgetting to ask you guys this question, and since I'm a little shy at the dealership:eek: I haven't asked them either!

The salesman told me the TDI would only need an oil change every 10000 miles after the break in period. The manual is the glove box, but doesn't it say that too?!? But since I've been taking Daisy in to the dealer, the mechanic adds 5000 miles to her current mileage and puts that on the oil sticker on the inside of the windshield to remind me to schedule an oil change. And should I go by the date or the mileage? I drove her about 12,500 miles in 12 months, mostly city driving. She gets about 42mpg city and 50mpg hwy. Thanks for your advice. :)

Cori and Daisy

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Go the full 10000 miles. A 5000 mile oil change cycle just adds profit for the dealer. The more often they see your car, the more they make. If you want to be nice, put a donut in the car for the tech your next visit.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
VW also posts the maintenance intervals online.

But yeah, 10000 changes on the TDI is fine, so long as they're using 505.01-approved oil.

-Des

·
Diesel Inside
359 Posts
I would agree with the 10,000 miles interval with the RIGHT oil. However, if you are only doing 12,000 miles a year...you might want to change it based on time. I don't know that I would let my oil get more than 7-9 months old...but that's just me. 10K miles is more like 3-4 months for me...so I don't have to worry about that.

But you are good with a 10K mi OCI (oil change interval).

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much!! Yes, I'm sure the dealership is using the right oil. Another question - does anything about oil changes change with biodiesel? Hopefully we'll have a new pump here in February...yea!

Thanks again!

·
So this is the Y2K bug...
6 Posts
10.000 miles is fine, but use a good synthetic oil. Watch your dealers--they have been known to use the cheap stuff made from dinosaurs ($2.00 per quart) and charge full price synthetic ($4+ per quart). Buy your own, and watch them add it, and don't let them overfill!

Change your oil regularly and your Daisy-car will love you for a long time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree. 10K or every 6-9 months depending.

I fall into the later category. My NB is 1.5 years old and only has 11K. An oil change every 10K would be too long in my situation.

While the 505.01 oil is pricey, I have no problem changing the oil every 6 months regardless of mileage. I don't see it as a waste of money, I see it as quality time with the other great love of my life.

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
Wow...I have 20.1k and I've had Jenna for 8 months. That being said, 10k is fine...it's rated for 10k OR 1 year (whichever comes first). That being said, 10k is fine unless you really don't drive that much (then you shouldn't have a diesel anyways).

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Don't worry about using the biodiesel. If anything, the lower levels of soot produced, will extend the life of the oil.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
With good synthetic oil, every 10k, or if you drive less, every year is good. But when in doubt, doing an extra oil change every few years is not a bad idea. And as the others say, don't save your money on the quality of the oil. For 2003 and earlier TDI's, get a full synthetic like Mobil Delvac-1, Amsoil, etc. And for 2004-6 TDI's, get the dealer's Castrol 505.01, or Motul 505.01.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts