NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this might be a dumb question, but here goes: how do i know if my car is burning oil? i went and checked it this morning and the level is about 1/8" of below the top of the crosshatches that mark oil level on my dipstick. i know the 2.0s are known for liking oil, but how do i know if mine needs an additional quart now and then? also, when do i check the oil? when the engine is cold? how cold? how long do i have to wait for the engine to cool down before i can check?

here's an idea of where my oil is (those little crosshatches on the bottom of my dipstick):

XXX
XXX <--my level of oil on my dipstick
XXX
XXX
XXX
XXX
XXX

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
73standard said:
One way is to check your spark plugs.
how so? can you explain?

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
hungrybuddha
17 Posts
check the oil 2-3 minutes after turning it off, say, everytime you fill up. and as a rule, your bug is fine if the oil is maintained "inside" the crosshatches of your dipstick.

If you notice the oil level dropping more than half a quart within a week... you may have a leak. (that can be measured by your crosshatches: between the top and bottom crosshatches is a full quart)..

hope that helps

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
callisto9 said:
thanks! now i just have to figure out how to get them out and look at them. must consult the bentley...do i need a special tool? let me guess - yes?
You'll just need a sparkplug socket. No big deal.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
In regards to removing a spark plug on a 2.0:, you'll need:

5/8" spark plug socket
12" extension bar
socket wrench

How long between when it was changed and when you notice it down one cross hatch? It would be normal for it to use that much after about 2000-3000 miles....

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Porkchop said:
In regards to removing a spark plug on a 2.0:, you'll need:

5/8" spark plug socket
12" extension bar
socket wrench

How long between when it was changed and when you notice it down one cross hatch? It would be normal for it to use that much after about 2000-3000 miles....
the oil was changed 8/21/05 and that would have been about 1600 miles ago. approximately. this is the first time i've even checked the oil and noted exactly where it was. maybe it's been down a crosshatch for awhile...

considering it will be awhile until i get my next oil change (every 4000 miles), maybe adding a quart would be a good idea? my engine's ticking like crazy and i am wondering if it's because it needs oil.

i should go get a quick picture.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, here's a really bad cell phone pic...

Attachments

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
We took our old '99NB to Jiffy Lube once. They boogered up the metal seal that goes around the oil drain plug. That can cause you to loose your oil. It's a quick fix, but you'll have to change your oil all over again.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, so i am reading some things on the internet about checking your oil, and some of them say to check it when it's warm. or, warm up the car, then shut it off, wait 10 mins then check. i am confused! i thought you were supposed to check it when the engine was cold. when DO you check the oil?

the dipstick isn't real helpful in telling me what level my oil is. there's no "full" or "add" or real lines to speak of. so i am a little confused as to what i should be looking for anyway.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Your car is level when you check it, right? Don't mean to sound dumb, but I've seen people check their oil when it wasn't with out thinking.
You can check the oil level cold or hot. I check mine when it's cold. I've not seen anything to make me think I need to check it when it's hot.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
73standard said:
Your car is level when you check it, right? Don't mean to sound dumb, but I've seen people check their oil when it wasn't with out thinking.
You can check the oil level cold or hot. I check mine when it's cold. I've not seen anything to make me think I need to check it when it's hot.
so wait, checking it on a 35% incline is not good? kidding. yeah, it's on a level surface. i am going to have the BF look at it tonight (not that i need a MAN to help me), i just need a 2nd pair of eyes to see if i'm missing something.

i swear, it's so hard to get a straight answer about ANYTHING car-related anymore; check it when it's warm, check it when it's cold, check it when it's 82 degrees, sunny, you're wearing shorts, only if you have a black car and you're wearing sandals... :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
I was going to help this kid down the street change the gaskets in his oil strainer on his '57 oval VW. Well in order to do that you have to pull the strainer off of the oil pan, which means all the oil comes out of the car. When I got to his house I asked if he had an oil pan and oil. I just got a blank look in response. I had to explain to him that the laws of physics work the same under the car as they do over the car.
Point being, it's the little things that get over looked a lot, like checking oil on an incline.

On a side note, were you humming the tune to Shaft when you were checking the oil? I know that if you don't do that while curling your left big toe, and holding your breath as a jumbo jet flys over, you'll get a wrong reading.

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
73standard said:
On a side note, were you humming the tune to Shaft when you were checking the oil? I know that if you don't do that while curling your left big toe, and holding your breath as a jumbo jet flys over, you'll get a wrong reading.
i was humming the tune to "shaft". LOL how did you know?

i am learning more all the time...

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
LOL! Seriously though, if you oil level is dropping and you can't find an obvious leak, it could be the seal that goes around the drain plug.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
DO NOT add a quart... never fill this car up over the top cross hatch. Refer to the owners manual warning about overfilling.... it buggers up the emissions system.

I always check engine oil with the car cold (like over night)... you can check it when it warm and turned off for about 10 min. I like checking it cold for the sake of consistency. The difference between the two will be minimal though.

Remember this engine takes 4.2 quarts... jiffy lube might have only put 4 quarts in - so it might have always been low. Just put a little in and drive it. Geez, Erin :)

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
callisto9 said:
are you insinuating i am some kind of car spaz? :yaya:
You and your car are both going to need therapy. :)

However, its too bad everyone isn't as concerned with their vehicle's welfare as you are - there'd be a lot more cars on the road longer.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts