NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Punky Brusier
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on changing the timing belt in my 99 2.0 beetle I was wondering if the cam seal needs to be replaced at same time if it is not leaking, because I have seen kits that come with that and the crank seal also. Same goes for the thermostat if its not acting up.

Thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am planning on changing the timing belt in my 99 2.0 beetle I was wondering if the cam seal needs to be replaced at same time if it is not leaking, because I have seen kits that come with that and the crank seal also. Same goes for the thermostat if its not acting up.

Thanks
I just had my TB/WP service done wich also included thermostat and both camshaft and crankshaft seals. It was recommended by one of the orgers here. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I just had my TB/WP service done wich also included thermostat and both camshaft and crankshaft seals. It was recommended by one of the orgers here. Hope this helps.
Also the tensioner and mounting bolts (one time use bolts). Also a great time to do the serpentine belt and tensioner, many also do this at the same time. Buy a kit that includes the G12 coolant.

M.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Personally I'm comfortable leaving the seals if not leaking and change them every second TB change. The thermostat is trivially easy at either TB time or on its own but you do save draining the coolant again.

These comments apply if you are using eom parts, changing a perfectly good eom testator for a cheap Chinese testator is false economy at any time.

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
I am always proactive when it comes to my maintenance; however I always consider this, ... if it is not broke, do not fix it. I have yet to replace any seals (knocks on wood); so until one does leak I will leave mine alone.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts

Thanks
The crank and the cam seals aren't critical unless they are leaking. It is a pita getting those installed and will add a couple of hours to your timing belt job. Same with the thermostat but if it hasn't been changed in the last 10 years I think it would be worth the extra effort to install a new one. Make sure it is a OEM thermostat. Stay away from Whaler thermostats since they are known for failure. Behr is okay which is an OEM manufacturer.

·
Punky Brusier
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Im just going to buy the ecs ultimate kit, coolant, and the special tool. Do I even need the special tool?

Never mind. Decided to get the ultimate plus bc it comes with the motor mount bolts. I can put in all the other extra parts when needed.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Thanks guys. Im just going to buy the ecs ultimate kit, coolant, and the special tool. Do I even need the special tool?

Never mind. Decided to get the ultimate plus bc it comes with the motor mount bolts. I can put in all the other extra parts when needed.

I don't think there are any special tools required for the 2.0 Liter engines. On the Blauparts webpage they only show Timing Belt Tool Rental kits for the 1.8 Turbo and the 1.9 TDI engines. You are lucky that you have the 2.0 since the timing belt kit is about half price from the other engines.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Depends what the special tool is. You don't need lock tools like you do for the diesel engines but you have a choice for adjusting the cam belt tensioner:

1. Judiscious tightening and tapping with a drift and light hammer :-O
  2. Use curved needle-nose pliers
  3. The correct tool
The correct tool (and a small mirror), makes it a painless 2-minute job to get the tension right.

·
Punky Brusier
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright. I don't know why I was under the impression that I needed a special tool. Thought I saw it somewhere, but idk

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
depends what the special tool is. You don't need lock tools like you do for the diesel engines but you have a choice for adjusting the cam belt tensioner:

1. judiscious tightening and tapping with a drift and light hammer :-o
  2. use curved needle-nose pliers
  3. the correct tool
the correct tool (and a small mirror), makes it a painless 2-minute job to get the tension right.
Speaking to the 2.0L

?????

alright. I don't know why i was under the impression that i needed a special tool. Thought i saw it somewhere, but idk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts