VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I honestly have no idea what I’m doing and I’m going to try to explain this the best I can. I own a 2004 Volkswagen Beetle but, and I got into a wreck. The hood is a little smashed but the car seemed to be still driveable, but as I started the car, my coolant light came on, I drove it home (like 4 minutes on first gear only I was too worried about overheating the engine). It looks like there is a leak somewhere between the radiator and battery but as far as I can see there’s not any place that has any damage or tears into it. I’m definitely willing to provide pictures, but I’m not sure if I should even bring in it because it’s still driveable. Any insite at all, even a little bit is helpful. I’m just really not sure what to do because I don’t want to pay an arm and leg for it because I barely spent any money on the car because of the mileage and year. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
There is a coolant temp sensor on the radiator itself, driver side just above the plugs for the fans. That sensor or the wires have probably been damaged.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You're going to have to take a look, if that sensor was damaged or the wires were broken because it was shoved into something that could explain both the leak and the light. Or it might be something entirely different.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I rebuilt a wrecked 2006 Beetle that had similar coolant/temp issues. Obvious first thing is to assess and correct any leaking coolant. Second, purchase an after market temp gauge like one of these. The coolant dummy light in these cars is the worst. The after market will tell you the real story and you can easily take it out and use in other vehicles. Wish I could help more with the leak but mine was all on the other side of the engine bay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am having leaking issues on the passenger side, like ajax1967. My engine isn't Hot, but the temp light is blinking. The fans werent coming on so I replaced the Temp Sensor that is in the hose and the FCM under the car, but neither seem to help.Yesterday the temp light blinked Red for several miles, even after letting it cool for over an hour. I was able to wire one fan to the battery to get home.Unfortunately, I think Im going to straight wiring the fans just to get it to the shop. Since i did bypass the fan module could that be a reason the light is still blinking? I have had this car for 5-6 years, 2000 2.0 Gas AT with 200k + miles. I do most of my repairs myself, and have had Pleanty of repairs. Constantly Something. I Dread taking changing the radiator again, but it appears to be leaking where the plastic meets metal on the side. It doesn't leak everytime I drive the car though. ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
My case it was combination of the coolant bottle leaking under pressure and the sensor inside the bottle just being plain old bad. The leak you could see on the ground behind the passenger tire. It was extremely hard to see the source because of the location of the bottle and it's bottom connection. The sensor just didn't work right from the start. Dummy light would say car was overheating seconds after turning it on. That's why I bought the aftermarket sensor along with a new coolant bottle. That fixed my leak and gave me piece of mind that my daughter would know the exact temperature of the coolant at all times.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am having leaking issues on the passenger side, like ajax1967. My engine isn't Hot, but the temp light is blinking. The fans werent coming on so I replaced the Temp Sensor that is in the hose and the FCM under the car, but neither seem to help.Yesterday the temp light blinked Red for several miles, even after letting it cool for over an hour. I was able to wire one fan to the battery to get home.Unfortunately, I think Im going to straight wiring the fans just to get it to the shop. Since i did bypass the fan module could that be a reason the light is still blinking? I have had this car for 5-6 years, 2000 2.0 Gas AT with 200k + miles. I do most of my repairs myself, and have had Pleanty of repairs. Constantly Something. I Dread taking changing the radiator again, but it appears to be leaking where the plastic meets metal on the side. It doesn't leak everytime I drive the car though. ??
Might be as simple as air in the system? Had overheating alerts w/o other symptoms, was hot, but who knows how his since only dummy light and not a gauge. Purged system of air and helped greatly. Still had a fan issue (large one broke free from nut) but not overheating...that’s another story as I want my a/c to work so put new fan, sensor etc, patched blend doors a/c worked! Then stopped. Just realized one of the butt connections broke free, possibly the reason it stopped! Thanks stream-of-mind might have worked that out!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts